PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Undoing what Update Manager did

xtheunknown0
December 22nd, 2010, 06:14 AM
Last night I downloaded and installed 359 "recommended updates" for Lucid and now the Lucid VM in VBox won't go full screen correctly, like it used to. I'm willing to do anything to *restore* the system to the way it was before. What can I do?

TIA,
xtheunknown0

xtheunknown0
December 22nd, 2010, 11:28 AM
bump

xtheunknown0
December 23rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
bump

miegiel
December 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
Last night I downloaded and installed 359 "recommended updates" for Lucid and now the Lucid VM in VBox won't go full screen correctly, like it used to. I'm willing to do anything to *restore* the system to the way it was before. What can I do?

TIA,
xtheunknown0

I was hoping to learn something new in this thread. I'm a little disappointed to only find bumps.

Anyway, in reply to your post: I think it might not be possible. Or if it is, you'll need to navigate through a minefield of dependencies.

You could check launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/) to see if there's a bug reported. And, who knows, help working on a fix.

ottosykora
December 23rd, 2010, 01:40 PM
well restore might not be possible unless you have some kind of backup image of the system somewhere.

But if it is just for the case of the virbox, I would just save all virtual machine somewhere separate and simply uninstall the whole virbox. Then install it again from repository.

The problem with the vixbox is, that to each kernel it needs separate modul and it could be that this was somehow missing.

xtheunknown0
December 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I was hoping to learn something new in this thread. I'm a little disappointed to only find bumps.

Anyway, in reply to your post: I think it might not be possible. Or if it is, you'll need to navigate through a minefield of dependencies.

You could check launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/) to see if there's a bug reported. And, who knows, help working on a fix.

By browsing through launchpad I picked up the keyword 'resolution'. I played around with System->Preferences->Monitor Preferences and I've fixed the problem.

Why can updates to Ubuntu modify the original, working settings to the resolution after Guest Additions?

xtheunknown0

xtheunknown0
December 26th, 2010, 11:39 AM
bump

xtheunknown0
December 30th, 2010, 12:24 PM
bump

miegiel
December 30th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Why can updates to Ubuntu modify the original, working settings to the resolution after Guest Additions?

Sometimes old configuration files are not compatible with updates and get replaced with a new default configuration. Are you still having problems, or is it solved now?

xtheunknown0
January 7th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Sometimes old configuration files are not compatible with updates and get replaced with a new default configuration. Are you still having problems, or is it solved now?

No problems, it's solved. I was curious, though.

xtheunknown0