PDA

View Full Version : [other] Can't boot from working CD drive

chris.shelton
December 22nd, 2010, 03:28 AM
First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

I am trying to help a friend set up his computer to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. While the CD drive works (and can burn cds, rip cds, play cds, etc with no noticible impairment of function), it is unresponsive before the Operating System is loaded. What I mean is that when we put in a bootable cd (we've tried Ubuntu, Windows 7, Puppy Linux, gparted, Windows Recovery Disk) and go through the boot menu right after the computer manufacturer screen (HP), and select CD-Rom Drive, the screen goes black with the exception of a blinking white cursor. The computer will boot from the hard drive, and we managed to boot and install Ubuntu from a flash drive just fine.

Is there any reason why a CD drive might do this? It once, years ago, had a large amount of soda spilled in it, but I would imagine if anything was broken hardware-wise, the drive just wouldn't work at all. I don't know that much about hardware (or anything, really), but the only thing I could think of is that it could have something to do with an OS loading a more complete set of drivers than the BIOS. I have absolutely no idea if this is actually the case, but it's just a thought. Has anyone ever had a similar problem, or could anyone suggest possible steps to fix this (short of buying a new cd drive)?

sikander3786
December 22nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the forums :-)

If it doesn't boot any of the OS discs including Ubuntu and Windows, it is definitely a hardware problem.

Sometimes, CD/DVD Drive needs to be set Master in order to boot from it. Please re-check.

And you might also try restoring Bios defaults and see if that helps. In some cases, it does!

This page is also worth reading.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000217.htm

theasprint
December 22nd, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hi,

I assume that you have Windows working in your PC?

Then you might just try burning an Ubuntu disc and opening it from Windows?
(I think it may work and yet does not prove your CD drive works)

If you really want to boot from an OS disc, then you might as well buy an external.
External CD drives do come in handy if you're planning to get a netbook in the future.