PDA

View Full Version : Linux for iPhone.

DarkAmbient
December 21st, 2010, 09:00 PM
Hope t'is Ok to post this question in the community café.

Anyone knows anything about this? I read something about a rather long time ago. Some 'hacker' managed to boot into "some" Linux kernel on an iPhone. Haven't read anything about it since though. Hope it wasn't fake or anything.

I love my iPhone (hardware-wise) but gotten more and more annoyed by the EULA and the policy Apple has (which grows more annoying by the day, 'contextual' as size-wise). My (and the misses) iPhone is jailbroken, which makes it's ALOT more useful. But of-course, such a thing goes against Apple's anti-freedom policy. So to re-jailbreak my/our devices on each upgrade, is kinda annoying (and sometimes quite difficult).

So, a Linux dist. for the iPhones would be so bloody cool! Man, I get all turned on thinking about this.

BTW, if such a thing would come out. Would it considered to be 'illegal' to install that on an iPhone? I got a hard time believing that.. but you never know...

earthpigg
December 21st, 2010, 10:15 PM
you could probably ssh to your desktop and run terminal apps from there.

Giant Speck
December 21st, 2010, 10:24 PM
Installing Android on the iPhone is possible. There are numerous ways of doing so. It's not 100% working yet, but it's getting there.

DarkAmbient
December 22nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
you could probably ssh to your desktop and run terminal apps from there.

Oh, I do that all the time. :-) The funny thing is that theirs even commercial/official 'terminal-apps' on app-store (Apples iPhone Store). But they come in price ranges from 2-10$. And alot of stuff are "locked down" to prevent 'hacking'. On a Jailbroken iPhone && in Cydia (like appstore but free:er) theres some great terminal alike apps for free, and they works as they should.

Installing Android on the iPhone is possible. There are numerous ways of doing so. It's not 100% working yet, but it's getting there.

Sweet, I might have to try that! Will look into it tomorrow. The coolest would be if it would be possible to dualboot!

Spr0k3t
December 22nd, 2010, 12:35 AM

Interesting... a functional iphone. Too bad it would still be on the ATT network. There's better options out there now anyway.

Giant Speck
December 22nd, 2010, 12:43 AM
Interesting... a functional iphone. Too bad it would still be on the ATT network. There's better options out there now anyway.

Odd. I wasn't aware that my iPhone was considered "not functional".

Anyway, if you can install Android on it, I don't see why you couldn't unlock it. Unlocking it would open it up for use on T-Mobile, as well as numerous smaller carriers that utilize UMTS for 3G service. Heck, you don't even have to put Android on it for this to be possible, since unlocking (as well as jailbreaking) is now legal in the United States for iPhones.

DeadSuperHero
December 22nd, 2010, 03:42 AM

Switch out the SIM card for T-Mobile after you Jailbreak it and put Android on it. ;)

Austin25
December 22nd, 2010, 04:06 AM

There's an app for that, but it wasn't approved by Apple.

Spr0k3t
December 22nd, 2010, 04:23 AM
Odd. I wasn't aware that my iPhone was considered "not functional".

You'll have to pardon my overly snarky remarks. I'm a big fan of absolute hate towards anything apple related. Nevertheless, cool to hear that Android will work on the iphone.

Frak
December 22nd, 2010, 05:00 AM
Well, it works well enough to do phone and smart-phone things. The only thing lacking, thus far, are optimizations. The lack of driver support is killer.

Giant Speck
December 22nd, 2010, 06:37 AM
You'll have to pardon my overly snarky remarks. I'm a big fan of absolute hate towards anything apple related. Nevertheless, cool to hear that Android will work on the iphone.

Oh, I didn't actually care if you hated Apple or not; I just wanted to be just as snarky.

Well, it works well enough to do phone and smart-phone things. The only thing lacking, thus far, are optimizations. The lack of driver support is killer.

That's really a damn shame. Because I'd love to install Android on my phone just to tinker with it. I don't want to have to buy a new phone just to use Android.

Frak
December 22nd, 2010, 06:40 AM
Oh, I didn't actually care if you hated Apple or not; I just wanted to be just as snarky.

That's really a damn shame. Because I'd love to install Android on my phone just to tinker with it. I don't want to have to buy a new phone just to use Android.
Currently, from what I've gathered, it supports all the features of the 3GS (but not the iPhone 4), but with hacked together drivers. Though, I'd give it another couple of months, and I think it'll be up to iPhone speed.

DarkAmbient
December 22nd, 2010, 10:12 AM
Currently, from what I've gathered, it supports all the features of the 3GS (but not the iPhone 4), but with hacked together drivers. Though, I'd give it another couple of months, and I think it'll be up to iPhone speed.

Nice to read, I got a 3GS one. How is the unlocking possibilities with Android on a iPhone then? And is it still locked to the same phone-companies as it were before I unlocked it now with iOS?

LowSky
December 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
I'm shaking my head at this. Why potentially brick a iPhone? Sell it and buy an Android or whatever you want powered phone. Simple fix for a simple problem

Frak
December 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM
Nice to read, I got a 3GS one. How is the unlocking possibilities with Android on a iPhone then? And is it still locked to the same phone-companies as it were before I unlocked it now with iOS?
I'm pretty sure it uses a standard SIM loader, so, no, it isn't locked into the traditional carriers.

DarkAmbient
December 22nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
ok thanks for the info. :) I've watched some tech videos on dualbooting with iOS and Android. Really cool that it's possible. After the holidays i might try it out.

However, when i first created this thread I was curious if there's possible to get... well for example- Ubuntu on an iPhone. I know Ubuntu allready got Multi-touch Support built-in. So if its allready possible to boot a linux kernel on the iPhone. Wouldn't it be possible to boot into a Linux dist? Fill me in here guys...

NCLI
December 22nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
ok thanks for the info. :) I've watched some tech videos on dualbooting with iOS and Android. Really cool that it's possible. After the holidays i might try it out.

However, when i first created this thread I was curious if there's possible to get... well for example- Ubuntu on an iPhone. I know Ubuntu allready got Multi-touch Support built-in. So if its allready possible to boot a linux kernel on the iPhone. Wouldn't it be possible to boot into a Linux dist? Fill me in here guys...

Dude, seriously, learn to Google (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ubuntu+running+on+an+iphone) :p