PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 installation problems

theone524
December 21st, 2010, 08:58 PM
i am having a problem with the installation with ubuntu 10.10
during the installation, i was entering my setup info (login password, timezone, etc.) when everything stopped working, it wouldnt let me continue, the forward button wouldnt work. i let it set for a good 30 minutes but it wouldnt do anything.

so unable to continue, i restarted and tried to boot from my cd drive and now it wont boot from the drive, and since i let ubuntu delete my windows partition, i cant boot from it so i basically have a blank hard drive.

the cd drive will boot other cds because i booted hirens boot cd in an attempt to make sure the cd drive was functioning and ran diagnostics to make sure the drive was alright.

i have a dell inspirion e1705 if that helps

sikander3786
December 21st, 2010, 09:14 PM
Dont include Capital letters in your username. And no spaces either.

e.g, theone instead of Theone ;-)

Thats a bug but fixed for the next version. It really is annoying.

theone524
December 21st, 2010, 09:23 PM
is there new version already out? because i downloaded this version of ubuntu about 2 weeks ago

sikander3786
December 21st, 2010, 09:32 PM
is there new version already out? because i downloaded this version of ubuntu about 2 weeks ago
Next stable is scheduled to come out in April 2011 i.e, 11.04 codenamed Natty Narwhal.

It is currently in the Alpha stages and not recommended to run on production machines. And not recommended for non-tech users either ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Ubuntu_11.04_.28Natty_Narw hal.29