PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GNOME Phone Dialer

JimmyJoeBob
December 21st, 2010, 08:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get my father to quit using Windows. His only demand is that he be able to have a nice contact manager. Evolution looks like just what he needs, but it seems to be missing one key feature: a phone dialer (don't confuse this with a dial-up Internet dialer or a VOIP applicaiton; those are not what I am looking for). What I want to know is:

1.) Is there a simple phone dialer for Gnome (like Kall for KDE)?
2.) Can it be used with Evolution (or is there an Evolution plugin to do this)?
3.) If there is not way to do this with Evolution, is there another Gnome contacts manager/calendar/task scheduler that has this capability?

I guess if I can't find one, I'll have to go to Kubuntu since it appears to be able to do this with Kontact, but I really prefer Gnome so I would rather not have to do that.

Thanks!

wkulecz
December 21st, 2010, 10:34 PM
You generally can install KDE applications on Gnome at the price of dragging in a bunch of KDE libraries.

Give this a try.

JimmyJoeBob
December 22nd, 2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks, I was able to install Kontact. Kall is a pain because there are no binaries, but hopefully I can figure it out eventually. It's great that Kontact lets you enter the command for call/fax/maps/etc. so that if you want to integrate it with something a bit more advanced (Asterisk), you can do that too.

FYI, for anyone who finds this, I have done some more research. There has been a ticket opened on launchpad requesting that some kind of phone dialer be added to Evolution here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/evolution/+bug/246085). It appears that there is no way to do add that support at this time.