PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Offline minimal ubuntu install

spoonbadger
December 21st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Ok, this is something i've been battling with for a few days, might be of interest to some of you out there!.

I have a 64bit laptop currently dual booting win7 and Arch and want to replace the Arch install with a minimal Ubuntu install. Now, i'm currently snowed in and my only internet source is a USB 3G modem with a 5gb monthly download cap. I have a CD-R with the LiveCD iso of 64bit 10.04 Ubuntu, as well as two live CDs with 32 bit 10.04 and 10.10. I have the 64bit 10.04 LiveCD iso and the minimal 64bit 10.04 ISO on my hard drive.

Right, now, the interesting bit! I'm trying to install minimal 64bit Ubuntu and get it to the stage of having X11, gnome, GDM, a web browser, NetworkManager and nm-applet. However, i cant really download any packages because i dont want to ruin my download cap, as it could be my only internet for the forseeable future. I dont want to erase my Arch install until i'm certain i can get a working Ubuntu install, as i need Arch for internet since win7 doesn't work with my modem.

Which brings me to the question: Is it possible to use the packages on a LiveCD iso of 10.04 as a repository to install from on a minimal Ubuntu installation?

I've spent a lot of time googling this, and gotten a lot of conflicting answers. It seems that this would be possible on the alternate install ISO, but reports on the LiveCD ISO are sketchy at best. Ideally, i'd just have a nice, shiney broadband connection here but that's not possible sadly.

Now, obviously i could just make due with my current setup until i get to a good connection, but Arch is currently being rather unpleasant to use for a number of reasons. And at this stage, i see getting this to work as a challenge and it's keeping me entertained enough to avoid snowed-in cabin fever :D

Can anyone help with this? I'd greatly appreciate it!