PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS... no way!

Peluto
December 21st, 2010, 02:04 PM
I have red a lot of posting about installation of Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS trying to find an installation problem like the one I have, but did not find any.

I have tried to update from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron) --which I have been using happily since 2008-- to 10.04.1 LTS (Lucid Linx).
First, I tried to update from the Update Manager, but near the end, (when "Configuring binfmt-support 1.2.18...") suddenly stopped for a real long time. I had to force-stopping PC.

Then, I downloaded 'ubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-i386'; checked MD5 OK, and burned to a CD, at low speed and having verified data OK.
When I tried to install it in my Desktop PC (I have not had any problem with 8.04 Hardy Heron) it was imposible for me.
Repeated the process five or six times and the same problem arose: When making the partitions manually, some of the characters written started to repeat "ad infinitum" and a moment later, the PC stalled. It did not respond even to CTRL-ALT-DEL. I had to force the stop.

Finally, I used the CD to Test-Without-Installing; it seemed to go fine... until I opened a text editor and started to write something: After a dozen characters written, one started to repeat, and repeat, and would not stop repeating. I had to force stop the PC.

Now, I have reinstalled Hardy Heron again.

Thanks for your attention,
Peluto

theasprint
December 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
Hi,

It seems that your PC may become quite unsupported.
I don't know why but I am sure that there are older PCs which can run 10.04 installation with no problems.

What I suggest is that you use the Alternate .iso file for Ubuntu 10.04
The Alternate version supports PCs with low-end graphics or processing speed as its interface has no GUI (only during installation)

Good Luck :D

gt3pilot
December 21st, 2010, 05:30 PM
I can attest that 10.10 LTS will update and run on an old computer - I have a 5 year old laptop (HP Pavillion) that I installed 9.04 on (from a clean wipe of the hard disk) and then upgraded using the Upgrade Manager - it took two rounds of updates before it was completely up to date but I have been able to install/run all applications, print, WiFi, etc. without an issue.

Kirk

Peluto
December 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM
That is what I thought first: 10.04.1 doesn't support my PC, but what seems extrange to me is that 8.04 (2008, not very old, isn't it?) supports it OK, (my PC is a Compaq Presario).

If that is the case, I can't understand how is it that a Linux distro "likes" better new PCs, when it's well known that a very important part of "Linux clients" worldwide are supposed to be in the weak part of the economy.

Anyway, I would try the Alternate; it hadn't crossed my mind, in fact.
Thanks for your replies

ottosykora
December 21st, 2010, 08:50 PM
on an very old dell latitude C600, I tested CD run, 10.04 did work from life cd, the 10.04.1 was not working.

I installed the 8.04 then, which did work fine, and updated then to 10.04 directly. Did work well this way, but all is kind of slow and often I have to start all few times until the display is configured corectly. Also I seldom can switch off the computer correctly, it remands me of w98se refusing to shut down the machine, I have to use the main power switch for it.