PDA

View Full Version : The Coffee Thread

zer010
December 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM
How do you prepare your coffee and how do you drink it? Black, with sugar, with cream, both or other ways?
After having another automatic drip coffee maker go out, I decided to go a little old fashioned. I was lucky enough to find that our local department store carried percolators for camping. Now I make my coffee on the stove-top and unless our stove goes out and I can't build a fire for some reason, I won't be left without a cup of joe.:)
I usually have mine with sugar and milk or some other substitute, but I'll not shy away from a cup of it black either.

wojox
December 21st, 2010, 08:34 AM
I had to ditch the coffee. Switched to Tea (Earl Gray) with honey. We have a Coffee and Tea Group (http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=106) if you want to join.

zer010
December 21st, 2010, 08:39 AM
I had to ditch the coffee. Switched to Tea (Earl Gray) with honey. We have a Coffee and Tea Group (http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=106) if you want to join.
Cool! That sounds interesting.
I usually drink coffee in the winter time.

weasel fierce
December 21st, 2010, 08:46 AM
I don't usually drink coffee unless its offered to me, but I tend to prefer it plain and black.

Coffee is definately one of those things were getting slightly better beans makes a big difference.

julio_cortez
December 21st, 2010, 08:55 AM
When I do it myself I usually make it with a moka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot) (which, according to Wikipedia, I think produces the kind of coffee called "espresso") and I use the very first coffee that the moka brews to make the "top cream" myself (coffee+sugar, nothing else). I don't add sugar to the coffee apart from the one that is in the cream.

Zero2Nine
December 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM
I drink instant coffee most of the time because it is so cheap (and has a high caffeine level) :p

treesurf
December 21st, 2010, 09:57 AM
I use either a french press, or a single cup drip cone for my coffee. Get decent quality beans, grind them right before brewing, and drink it black. Mmmmm.... :)

ad_267
December 21st, 2010, 09:58 AM
It's spelt espresso.

And we have an espresso machine at work so that's what I drink. Plunger at home though.

PC_load_letter
December 21st, 2010, 10:03 AM
I use the French press, and I honestly believe that you get a much better cup of coffee this way than using the regular coffee machine w/ filters. The quality of the coffee blend does matter. I get my favorite blend from a local coffee shop, much better than any mass produced blend I used to get from the supermarket, although I always thought that "Folgers" was the better brand.
I use creamer (soy based) but no sugar. Sometimes with a little bit of Cinnamon on top.

samstreet101
December 21st, 2010, 10:14 AM
It's spelt espresso.

And we have an espresso machine at work so that's what I drink. Plunger at home though.

That's kind of funny that you mispelled 'spelt'...

NightwishFan
December 21st, 2010, 10:40 AM
Feel free to join the group, we used to be pretty active.

inobe
December 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM
i'll drink whatever kind, just not from a fueling station.

Spice Weasel
December 21st, 2010, 12:31 PM
I'll usually have instant coffee because less seconds to caffeine = awesome. :p

I'll also drink nearly any coffee (not ANY, to be honest grass and coffee are not that much of a good combination), provided there is no foam.

treesurf
December 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
I'll usually have instant coffee because less seconds to caffeine = awesome. :p

I'll also drink nearly any coffee (not ANY, to be honest grass and coffee are not that much of a good combination), provided there is no foam.

Depends what you mean by grass.

Spice Weasel
December 21st, 2010, 02:02 PM
Good point. I should have used a better combination.

How about rocks?

MooPi
December 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM
I drink coffee in the morning and sometimes right after morning then a little latter with lunch but sometimes before lunch. Afternoons I'll sip a bit of espresso but I'll guzzle down a pot with dinner. Finally I like a nice sweet cup just before bed to cut the edge. I got a gorilla on my back named Juan Valdez :D

Zero2Nine
December 21st, 2010, 02:59 PM
I drink coffee in the morning and sometimes right after morning then a little latter with lunch but sometimes before lunch. Afternoons I'll sip a bit of espresso but I'll guzzle down a pot with dinner. Finally I like a nice sweet cup just before bed to cut the edge. I got a gorilla on my back named Juan Valdez :D

No problems falling asleep when you drink coffee so late? I drink quite some during the day but never after 9pm

MooPi
December 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM
No problems falling asleep when you drink coffee so late? I drink quite some during the day but never after 9pm
Yeah I've got this backward metabolism that when I don't have a cup I have a hard time falling to sleep. I guess it's one for the medical books.

samalex
December 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM
We have a Keurig coffee maker (http://www.keurig.com/) at home and I use it for coffee each morning, tea in the evenings, and hot chocolate on those nights when we watch movies with the kiddos. It's alittle more than traditional drip coffee, but when everyone can have their own flavor of hot beverage it's awesome. Plus when company comes over we can have coffee ready in just a minute or two.

Unless you need to make an entire pot this is definitely the way to go.

oldos2er
December 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM
I have a Bunn, make coffee with it every morning. Black.

#11u-max
December 21st, 2010, 08:19 PM
kona coffee made with a keurig brewer ftw!

Zzl1xndd
December 21st, 2010, 08:25 PM
I am more about the blend then how its made, although freshly ground is the best. I also take my coffee black.

My favorite blend is the Prince of Darkness from Oso Negro.

http://www.osonegrocoffee.com/coffee/verydark.htm

DarkAmbient
December 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM
I like my coffee black, just like my metal! ;-)

Well, i actually got alot of Ubuntu to it aswell... or is it the other way around? (I always end up infront of my computer (programming or something) after a few zip of my coffee)

sanderella
December 21st, 2010, 09:56 PM
Grind the coffee beans by hand with a very old grinder, which can be adjusted to alter the flavour. Only way! :p

uRock
December 21st, 2010, 10:01 PM
Maxwell House in a slow brewing coffee maker. Add sugar and creamer.

I used to buy my beans and grind them, then put them in the percolator.

red_Marvin
December 21st, 2010, 10:28 PM
I make filter coffe from Gevalia India Malabar (dark roast, but low on acid--so I can make it strong without making it too corroding)
I don't trust automatic coffee makers, but pour the water myself from the kettle into a loose filter holder/funnel I place on top of the dedicated coffee mug.

ad_267
December 22nd, 2010, 08:54 PM
That's kind of funny that you mispelled 'spelt'...

I'm not American.

Also, you misspelled "mispelled".

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spelt

NightwishFan
December 22nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I'm not American.

Also, you misspelled "mispelled".

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spelt

Hahahaha.....

MonolithImmortal
December 22nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
I like my coffee black, just like my metal! ;-)

Well, i actually got alot of Ubuntu to it aswell... or is it the other way around? (I always end up infront of my computer (programming or something) after a few zip of my coffee)

Beat me to it.

The Real Dave
December 23rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
Instant, black, no sugar :)

zer010
December 23rd, 2010, 01:24 PM
"It's spelt espresso."
I apologise...lol

"Grind the coffee beans by hand with a very old grinder, which can be adjusted to alter the flavour."
I have a great lavastone mortar and pestle that I've thought about using for this purpose. It'd take a LOT of work to produce some usable grinds.
Someone suggested I try Turkish coffee because I like mine potent and strong.

MooPi
December 23rd, 2010, 01:43 PM
Is this threed going to tern into Nazi speling thug throuw downd. Cuz I node I can spelt as good as the naxt gie.

There is a nice single serving espresso maker called AeroPress. On the cheap it makes a good strong cup of coffee. Someone on the forum mentioned it months ago and I've been enjoying it's brew since. I use it in the afternoon or when I just need a quick single cup. No need to waste good beans.