PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] duel boot w7 on hp laptop

Paul Barnett
December 21st, 2010, 05:56 AM
I need advice on duel booting windows 7 and ubuntu on an hp laptop. All 4 partitions are taken up. I know i need to delete one partition to make room for ubuntu. Should I delete the windows recovery or hp partition? Or is there another option?

PhantmKllr
December 21st, 2010, 06:07 AM
How did you end up with 4 partitions, from a previous installation of Ubuntu?

Quackers
December 21st, 2010, 06:14 AM
I know that some people have deleted the HP Tools partition, then shrunk the C: drive to get some unallocated space for Ubuntu to install into.
I believe the HP Tools partition is used for diagnostic tools, which can be downloaded from HP again. But that would be something for you to check first.

PhantmKllr
December 21st, 2010, 06:17 AM
When I set up my Laptop, I deleted all the partitions except the Windows partition (backup, windows recovery). Then I installed Ubuntu into the free space.

oldfred
December 21st, 2010, 06:25 AM
Some have said that with HP the creation of the recovery DVD is a one time event. If it does not work, you still have to buy a copy. I would make the recovery DVD and if it lets you make a repair CD, which may be of more use. I do not think I would want to ever use the recovery after more than a few months of changes, updates, etc. as I would not want to have to redo all that in windows. But then I like Ubuntu.

Since the tools partition is usually small, you can back it up and then reinstall in a new separate logical partition, if you really want to keep it on your system.

Paul Barnett
December 25th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I deleted the hp partition and expanded it to accommodate ubuntu. I had to use the windows install disk (repair) to restart windows. I than installed ubuntu on the free space. Works great.:P