PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Keep Gnome desktop after Unity changes

fernando.a.martin
December 21st, 2010, 02:17 AM
Hi. I tried Ubuntu Studio for about 5 months in Virtualbox, created a live cd using Remastersys, after many tries I installed it on dual-boot this week. I had many hard times configuring it and after all this struggle to make it work there is something that worries me about Ubuntu. Currently I am using the 10.10 version. My desktop is beautiful and working out right. But I have heard that in the next version (11.04) the new desktop interface will be Unity.
I would like to know: Since I have Gnome desktop configured and working, after I upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 will it delete my Gnome desktop or keep it? Will it be possible to use 11.04 version and keep the Gnome desktop for those who already have it? If so will it be possible to choose between Gnome or Unity in login as now it is between Gnome and KDE for those who have both? Does anyone knows about the development of 11.04, have made a try with pre-releases or anything else so that you could answer my questions?
Thank you.

VeeDubb
December 21st, 2010, 02:23 AM
You should read up on the Unity Q&A in the Natty Development forum.

In short, you will ALWAYS have the option of using different desktops. After all, even now you have at least half a dozen different desktops that are in the repos.

Also, Unity is not a replacement for gnome. It sits on top of gnome.

qamelian
December 21st, 2010, 02:24 AM
Yes, you will be able to choose the classic Gnome desktop, rather than Unity.

fernando.a.martin
December 22nd, 2010, 01:12 AM
What worried me was exactly the fact that "Unity sits on top of Gnome". I though that perhaps they would merge Unity in Gnome and there could be no traditional Gnome look anymore or that downloading the upgrade would uninstall my current desktop enviroment as 'unsupported'. But by what you said isn't this the case, is it?
Another question: What is the link to "the Unity Q&A in the Natty Development forum"?