PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Use GRUB to Boot Ubuntu with Windows XP

dz3
December 20th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I'm wondering about the best way to manage a dual install of Ubuntu and Windows XP.

I had Ubuntu installed on my HDD, but I wanted Windows also, so I used a live CD to partition the drive, and opened some space for a Windows partition. I installed Windows in that space. Naturally, the install set up the computer to boot directly into Windows. I want to set up GRUB to load and allow me to choose my OS on boot.

I'd like to use Super GRUB Disk to install GRUB on the MBR of the disk to allow me to choose at boot.

Thanks in advance!

wojox
December 21st, 2010, 12:02 AM
Just Reinstall from a LiveCD (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20from%20LiveCD)

wilee-nilee
December 21st, 2010, 12:42 AM
You don't want a supergrub disc unless its the last resort.

So from a booted live Ubuntu cd or thumbdrive lets see the bootscript read out; in my signature just click on it and follow the instructions. Come back to the thread and click on the # in the reply panel this makes code tags paste all the text in between.

This will tell what is where and grub will just be put in the MBR=bootloader for a choice of Ubuntu or XP, most likely.

mr clark25
December 21st, 2010, 01:19 AM
if you just want to install grub, the link in my signature should do it all for you.