PDA

View Full Version : Help! frozen install of 10.10 from windows

comethalley
December 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Please, bear with me, I'm not computer savvy!
I tried installing using the universal usb creator last night on my new eee pc 1005ha, at least 8 hours ago. I only got to the screen where you choose your keyboard and language. The screen said "ready when you are." but it showed that it was only half loaded. When I suspended, it went back to being not loaded at all, and said it was waiting to get the time from a network server - its been there since (no progress at all). When I suspend, I get a screen that says something like "unidentifiable error - user id." What should I do, and (forgive me if this is dumb) is it safe for me to unplug and try again? I'm guessing nothing got reformatted yet, but I really don't want to brivk my brand new computer.:(

Quackers
December 20th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Your username must not start or end with a capital letter and have no "special characters" in it. Also a password MUST be entered and confirmed. An empty password field is not allowed.
Does this help?

comethalley
December 20th, 2010, 03:25 PM
wow, that's embarrassing... But thanks soooo much - I'm now writing from my spiffy shiny 10.10 netbook!!!:p

sikander3786
December 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM
wow, that's embarrassing... But thanks soooo much - I'm now writing from my spiffy shiny 10.10 netbook!!!:p
Yep thats embarassing. The installer needs to return an error and tell that it is not accepting the username, which, it doesn't. However I know it has been fixed in the next release i.e, 11.04.

Kudos to Quackers, as you issue is solved, please mark the thread Solved using Thread Tools near the top of this page.

Happy Ubuntu-ing!