PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to connect through wireless card

tank83
December 20th, 2010, 05:30 AM
First, I'm a new linux user, although I'm a knowledgable amateur PC user. I'm trying my best to figure this out and play around, and I like it so far, but I really have no clue how to operate ubuntu.

That being said, what i've done so far is this:

I've installed Ubuntu on a fresh HDD partitioned into 4 sections. The main section that is EXT4 file system, another that is NTFS for when I install windows, a swap section, and the rest of the HDD which is EXT4 as well.

As soon as I installed the OS, I went to work on getting it connected to the internet. I have a Broadcom wireless card Model: BCM4306 rev. 3. I followed a guide ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx ) that had me install the following packages: b43-fwcutter and patch in order to get the firmware installed. I followed the 'b43 - No Internet Access' instructions. I've gotten to step 4 where it tells me to go to System -> Administration -> Hardware/Additional Drivers and at that point, I get an error that says 'downloading package images failed, please check your network status. Most drivers will not be available.'

Now when I left click on the NetworkManager applet, it doesn't even show the wireless card (albeit it showed it before with (firmware needed) next to it) and i have no clue what to do. Can someone help me??

tank83
December 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
I cleaned my HDD for the 4th or 5th time, installed onto fresh partitions, again for the 4th or 5th time, then I connected to the internet via a wired connection and installed with the option 'update while installing' and the drivers were installed and all i had to do was use the additional drivers utility. I guess the moral of the story is check all steps for a breakdown. lol. At least I'm online and operational now. :)