PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Odd question - upgrade to Maverick removes xserver-xorg-input-synaptics?

Kalimol
December 20th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Odd question, but I finally got over my anxieties and started the update process on my Eee S101 from Lucid to Maverick, until I poked through the package list changes, at which point I still had the option to cancel. I did, because I got worried about this bit.

One of the packages set for removal was xserver-xorg-input-synaptics. I'm using Aapo Rantalainen's tweaked replacement, inspired by the Windows-based EeeRotate, which allows the the trackpad to rotate in sync with xrandr. This means that I can hold my machine (a 10" netbook, remember) by the "spine" for reading on the web - ezines, Google Books & Bookstore, etc. Without the tweak active, of course, the trackpad is 90° off from the screen, and it's nearly impossible to use.

It's mostly aesthetic and flashy and all of that, but it's a feature I value, whether just for showing off or for curling up in bed with the latest from Popular Science; I really need to keep the portrait option, and that's predicated on the trackpad tweak working in Maverick. Should I be worried about it disappearing if I go ahead with the update? Or rather, if it is removed, would I be able to reinstall it, or have there been major changes to Xorg that Rantalainen's project and PPA might have fallen behind? If there's any risk of permanently losing it, it wouldn't be worth updating for me.

Thanks for any help!

Kalimol
December 20th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Sorry for the bump, but for those curious, I upgraded, to no ill effects. = ) (And everything feels so damned slick now. Damn.)