PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My kernel corrupted

familyguy.02
December 20th, 2010, 02:26 AM
I recently updated my Linux kernel to version 2.6.35-23-generic. It worked great until a power outage cause it to become corrupt on my hard drive; when I try to boot into that kernel now, I am faced with many error messages. I am able to boot my machine into the older Linux kernel (2.6.35-22) but I can not install any programs or update my kernel, for it is already the latest version. What can I do?
Thanks in advance
Dakota

I'mGeorge
December 20th, 2010, 03:29 AM
if you say you have an older kernel available use it and with synaptic uninstall and reinstall the corrupted kernel, and after reboot try to use it again.

familyguy.02
December 20th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Thanks, I tried that. When I attempted to install the linux image (it said that it wasn't installed) I got an error message..

Selecting previously deselected package linux-image.
(Reading database ... 55%dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
failed to read on buffer copy for files list for package `linux-headers-2.6.35-23': Input/output error
E: Sub-process usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

Any ideas?

tgalati4
December 20th, 2010, 05:56 AM
You might have some disk damage. Try renaming the corrupt kernel to a different name, then reinstall.

Do an fsck using a Live CD and install smartmontools.

Then get an UPS.

I'mGeorge
December 20th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks, I tried that. When I attempted to install the linux image (it said that it wasn't installed) I got an error message..

Do
sudo gedit /var/lib/dpkg/statoverrideand put # in front of the lines that might contain postfix. If that doesn't works you could also comment all the lines except for
hplip root 755 /var/run/hplip

Anyway here's where you could read more about it
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-329560.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=508679

Cheers

hscottyh
January 20th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I was getting:

Selecting previously deselected package linux-image.
(Reading database ... 75%dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
failed to read on buffer copy for files list for package `linux-headers-2.6.35-23': Input/output error
E: Sub-process usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

I removed the following file by doing the following:

Saved the file to my home directory just in case I needed to put it back:
cp /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic.list ~/

Then removed the following file:
sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic.list

After removing the file, I was able to update, but was getting a warning. Then I did:
sudo apt-get remove linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic

This seemed to fix me completely. I didn't need the package since it was from an old kernel, but if it is your current kernal you should reinstall it by:

sudo apt-get update linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic

I'm not sure this would fix every problem from this sort of message. It's just what worked for me. I thought I should post this, since I couldn't find any solution that would fix me in the forums.