PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 10.10 Notification Area (top panel) not working

iosuna86
December 20th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I am running Ubuntu 10.10.

I installed the Mac OS X Leopard theme. I didn't really like it so I decided to uninstall it and went to the default theme.

Now, whenever I try to minimize an application to the system tray, the notification area doesn't show any icons.

For example, I am running Tixati and I have set it up to hide it in the system tray when clicking the close button. Before installing the Mac theme, I had the Tixati icon on the top panel, where I could hover the pointer in order to check the download rate, or right-click it in order to configure it, but now, no icon is shown. I have added a new Notification Area applet but there is nothing shown there.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Should I submit this thread in the General Help forum?

iosuna86
December 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I moved it to the General Help forum.

iosuna86
December 20th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Everything is fine now.

I just had to reboot Ubuntu.

Elfy
December 20th, 2010, 11:46 AM
No - you posted a duplicate - if you want something moving then report it and someone will look and do so.

iosuna86
December 20th, 2010, 12:30 PM
No - you posted a duplicate - if you want something moving then report it and someone will look and do so.

Yeah, that's what I did. I am new and I thought users could move it manually but I couldn't figure it out.

So, who and how do I report it?

Elfy
December 20th, 2010, 02:56 PM
In the left panel underneath all the writing are some icons - one is !Report abuse - you can use that and it get's flagged in the staff area - someone will read it and deal with it :)

iosuna86
December 20th, 2010, 03:17 PM
In the left panel underneath all the writing are some icons - one is !Report abuse - you can use that and it get's flagged in the staff area - someone will read it and deal with it :)

Thanks, I see it. But how does the staff know that all I want is to move it someplace else?

Elfy
December 20th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Well we wouldn't unless you said so :)

So for instance you hit the button and you get a text box to write in - you'd say something along the lines of

"I've put this in the wrong place - could you move it for me - pleeeeeaaaaaasse :)"

Then we'd know ;)

If you happen across spam - same button - tell us you've seen spam

If you happen across something unpleasant - tell us

It's a bit of a multi-purpose button - but it does create a report for us and ALL reports are at the least read. Hope that helps.

iosuna86
December 20th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Great!

I thought that once you clicked on it, you weren't able to text something to the staff.

Thanks so much for the info!;)

Elfy
December 20th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Nope - there is a text box :)

Welcome :)