PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu developer on reddit

Sef
December 20th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I found this developer (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/en0ti/i_am_an_ubuntu_unity_developer_ama/) on reddit. Makes for an interesting reading on what is going on and why.

PuddingKnife
December 20th, 2010, 02:43 AM
That was some really cool and enlightening reading, thanks!

I'm looking forward to Unity. Someone said this is the time for Ubuntu to become its own OS, and not just another distro. I'm inclined to agree.

Arex Bawrin
December 20th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Wow I can't believe I read that whole thing! I'll never understand why some people won't atleast give the final version of Unity a test drive before abandoning it completely. I appreciate this guy taking the time to answer all of these questions and I cannot wait to try out the finished product:)

Aquix
December 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Great read.

Iama on reddit is brilliant many times.

saulgoode
December 20th, 2010, 03:48 PM
It is a shame that Ubuntu doesn't have some sort of forums available where developers could participate in such discussions with the community of Ubuntu users. :snark:

castrojo
December 20th, 2010, 04:11 PM
It is a shame that Ubuntu doesn't have some sort of forums available where developers could participate in such discussions with the community of Ubuntu users. :snark:

Looking from the comments on reddit they aren't aware that unity developers have been answering questions both here and on ask ubuntu. It's a different audience to reach out to.

saulgoode
December 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Looking from the comments on reddit they aren't aware that unity developers have been answering questions both here and on ask ubuntu. It's a different audience to reach out to.
Fair enough. I shall withdraw my snarkiness. smspillaz (if I am making the connection correctly) has done an admirable job of discussing things here. To Ubuntu's cost, such forum participation by developers seems to be the exception and not the rule.

castrojo
December 20th, 2010, 04:57 PM
To Ubuntu's cost, such forum participation by developers seems to be the exception and not the rule.

Probably because of all the snarkiness. :p

koenn
December 20th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Probably because of all the snarkiness. :p
hm, wait ...

ubuntuforums is reputedly on of the friendliest forums in th OSS world - something that is actively worked towards by the forum leaders.
That means the snarkiness-levels on on other OSS communication channels (forums, mailing lists, ...) <ill be higher than here ?
So, one would expect that developers are accustomed to relative high levels of snarkiness, and possibly develop a certain, snarkiness themselves.

So ... no, I don't think the snarkiness as a factor here.