PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No boot sector on USB device

Vincey
December 19th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Hello,

My old Dell Inspiron 9300's CD Rom is no longer working. I've written the files to my 8GB USB device, and attempted to boot from it. Whenever i try, i get this "No boot sector on USB device".

Help?

Thanks in advance,
Vincey

Edit: I'm also using Mac OS X to make the USB drive.

wilee-nilee
December 20th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Hello,

My old Dell Inspiron 9300's CD Rom is no longer working. I've written the files to my 8GB USB device, and attempted to boot from it. Whenever i try, i get this "No boot sector on USB device".

Help?

Thanks in advance,
Vincey

Edit: I'm also using Mac OS X to make the USB drive.

With the thumb plugged in do this if possible, so from a booted live Ubuntu cd or thumbdrive lets see the bootscript read out; in my signature just click on it and follow the instructions. Come back to the thread and click on the # in the reply panel this makes code tags paste all the text in between.

Vincey
December 20th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I can't boot from the flashdrive, so how would i be able to download the bootscript? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

wilee-nilee
December 20th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I can't boot from the flashdrive, so how would i be able to download the bootscript? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Well we generally use the script to identify the HD like sdb sda etc, and the bootloader. You will need to be able to boot a cd to put a bootloader on the thumb anyway.