PDA

View Full Version : Should Canonical merge the Ubuntu and Canonical websites?

beetleman64
December 19th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I was looking round the Canonical website, and I found it was a good source of information. But I also found it overlapped with the Ubuntu website a bit. So, should the Ubuntu and Canonical websites be merged to create one amazing super-website? Or should the two remain separate entities?

Needless to say that www.ubuntu.com would still exist, it would just redirect you to the Ubuntu page on the Canonical website, in the same way that typing www.windows.com takes you to the Windows page on Microsoft's website.

TriBlox6432
December 19th, 2010, 11:43 PM
They should remain separate, however they should be distinct. So the ubuntu website is about ubuntu, the product. And the canonical website is about canonical, the company. Because canonical offers more products than just ubuntu.

sanderd17
December 19th, 2010, 11:49 PM
They should remain separate, however they should be distinct. So the ubuntu website is about ubuntu, the product. And the canonical website is about canonical, the company. Because canonical offers more products than just ubuntu.

And because ubuntu is more than cannonical. There are also volunteers that code for ubuntu and aren't paid by cannonical.

Ubuntu = the community
Cannonical = commercial with as main product ubuntu.

The difference between the two is made clear with the new color schema: orange for the community, pruple for cannonical.

Paqman
December 20th, 2010, 12:44 AM
in the same way that typing www.windows.com takes you to the Windows page on Microsoft's website.

Not a good analogy, since Microsoft own Windows entirely. The relationship between Canonical and Ubuntu is not the same.

beetleman64
December 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Not a good analogy, since Microsoft own Windows entirely. The relationship between Canonical and Ubuntu is not the same.

Fair point well made. I was merely trying to find something similar but that wasn't it.

chriswyatt
December 20th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean. I wouldn't see a problem with the two being more unified, but I guess they've done it this way for a good reason.

cpmman
December 20th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Best wishes and grateful thanks to Canonical for providing such a generous facility for us all to meet, greet, assist, find out, resolve, criticise, encourage, whinge, celebrate, enjoy, make fools of ourselves and generally delight in the freedom of (relatively) unfettered debate and discussion.