PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No longer able to enable desktop effects after update

sup_dawg444
December 19th, 2010, 09:34 PM
So I recently fresh installed Ubuntu 10.10, and after a few hiccups I got everything running fine, including the desktop effects with Compiz. So anyways, after a couple days of everything working fine, I ran an update, and rebooted. When Ubuntu booted back up and I logged in, all the effects were off. I opened up Compiz and all the boxes were unchecked. So I went to the appearance settings, tried to enable the "Extra" visual effects, and then the "Searching for drivers" box popped up. It ran for a little bit and then closed and said "desktop effects could not be enabled". So I checked the restricted drivers thing and the ATI proprietary driver is enabled and in use. But whenever I try to enable the effects the screen just flickers, the window borders flicker for a second, and then the window pops up saying the desktop effects couldn't be enabled. The searching for drivers window only pops up like half the time.

My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 3870, and I've tried reinstalling the drivers for it.

Also, whenever I run compiz my window borders disappear entirely and don't pop up again until I try to enable desktop effects in the appearance settings. I've lurked the forums a bit, and I haven't been able to find anything that has fixed my problem.

I'd really like some help on this, as the eye candy in Ubuntu is one of the main reasons I decided to use it in the first place. Thanks in advance.

sup_dawg444
December 20th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Welp, I fixed it.

Basically I did this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10002837&postcount=5

gbestrada
December 20th, 2010, 06:16 AM
then mark the thread as solved :P