PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty updates available?

pickarooney
December 19th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I want to reformat and go back to Jaunty Jackalope but am not entirely sure what the end of support for that release means. Does it mean that after I install I'll only have access to whatever packages are on the CD/DVD or are all the updated packages which were made up to a month ago still available on server mirrors?

karthick87
December 19th, 2010, 04:00 PM
It means no updates will be available for jaunty.

sikander3786
December 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Using Jaunty means there will be no updates or security patches any longer.

However, the repositories can be accessed.

http://thinkbeforetype.com/2010/12/12/accessing-ubuntus-end-of-life-repositories/

Any specific reason behing using Jaunty? I would strongly recommend to install a current version of Ubuntu instead i.e, either 10.04 or 10.10.

pickarooney
December 19th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Jaunty is the only release that works properly on my system. None of the later releases support my TV tuner and they all have serious A/V playback problems that are not present in Jaunty.

coffeecat
December 19th, 2010, 11:42 PM
None of the later releases support my TV tuner

That may be because the firmware needed for TV tuners was split into free and non-free packages (for licensing reasons) after Jaunty. Try installing the package linux-firmware-nonfree in Karmic, Lucid or Maverick and you'll probably find your TV card works.

pickarooney
December 20th, 2010, 12:25 AM
It doesn't. I've tried for over three months to get it to work but it just doesn't.