PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] login & password problem

craigcheek
December 19th, 2010, 03:24 PM
After trialling ubuntu 10.10 from a USB drive I installed it onto my hard drive. When I power up I am now asked for Login and then a password. I set a password during the installation, but not a login. No matter what I try I cant get in. I get the same when using the Windows option. I can now only use the computer (Tosihba equium) from the usb. How do I get rid of the login and password.

Craig

sikander3786
December 19th, 2010, 03:45 PM
The password you setup during installation is the same that is needed to log in.

I get the same when using the Windows option.

What does that mean? I couldn't understand.

You mean the password you setup during the installation is not being accepted at the login screen? If yes, you can reset it.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

craigcheek
December 19th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for that - password problem sorted.
Now I am left with a screen of text and a command prompt. There is no ubuntu graphic. http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon11.gif

sikander3786
December 19th, 2010, 04:25 PM
How did you solve the password problem?

Regarding the graphics issue, which graphics card is there and were any drivers installed? We need to see the output of these commands.

lspci | grep VGA

glxifo | grep vendor

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Note capital 'X' for X11.

craigcheek
December 19th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I fixed the password problem with the help of the link included in your first reply.

I entered the commands on your second reply, but I cant enter the vertical character in the first two. The last command returns a not recognised. When I boot off the USB everything works well.

I dont know which graphics card the toshiba equium has and I don't know which drivers were loaded.http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon9.gif

sikander3786
December 19th, 2010, 05:02 PM
No problem. Check if your home directory is there. This command should return the same folder name as your user name.

ls /home

If yes, try reconfiguring your graphics and reboot.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

sudo shutdown -r now

If it still doesn't take you to the desktop, we need to know about hardware specs of the machine in question. Specially RAM, processor and graphics card.

On my keyboard, vertical character '|' is on the same button as backslash. Shift + \ = |

craigcheek
December 19th, 2010, 05:34 PM
entered ls /home and it returns my user name

entered your first sudo command and it returns dpkg : confliting actions -e and -r
entered your 2nd sudo command and it returns : invalid option -0

my processor is a intel pentium M processor 1.6 GHz
1Gb ram
display adapter mobile intel 915GH/GMS, 910GML express chip set

everything works well off the USB and I installed from the usb.

sikander3786
December 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM
dpkg : confliting actions -e and -r

Make sure the command is typed as is here. No spaces, no capital characters.

Else, everything seems fine.

craigcheek
December 19th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Okay - ran those two commands and they were accepted, but things are just the same and I end up with a command prompt and not the graphic display

sikander3786
December 19th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Try to start the gui this way.

sudo service gdm stop

sudo service gdm start

Or,

startx

Please post any errors reported there.

craigcheek
December 19th, 2010, 06:19 PM
typed the 2 sudo command and got returned
gdm start/running, process 1202 and then nothing but the command prompt

when I entered the startx command I got a fatal server error and no screen found.

sikander3786
December 19th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I am running out of ideas here.

As this thread is titled login $ password problem, not many experienced members on your current issue i.e, no gui, would be looking at this thread. I would suggest to start a new thread with a title something like "no gui" or "ubuntu boots to terminal" as that would attract the experienced members on that specific problem.

And as you mentioned it was a fresh install, you can also try a re-install to save you time and effort.

Good Luck!

craigcheek
December 19th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Many thanks for your time and effort.

Craig