PDA

View Full Version : Why not give credit to other OSes they deserve

asifnaz
December 19th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I started ***puting with Windows 95 and then windows 98 they both were great at their times . There was some stability issues but they were extremely user friendly and easy to use . And had very good support of available software .

Windows xp ...I started using windows xp in 2002 . It is beautiful (I wonder why people on ubuntu forums say it is ugly ) it has good ***patibility with software and hardware .
There are drawbacks : Like viruses , worms , malware and slow downs(may be this because xp is most used OS in the world) .
But that can be avoided using security software and updating

Microsoft has fixed many things with windows 7 which is more secure and stable and if you are gamer its your ultimate destination .

I use Macbook with mac OS X . as it is unix like os it is very secure and stable . Its jaw dropingly beautiful and its great for professional use ( like video editing , photo , music ***posing editing etc)
Its cons
Pretty much no games for it
Harder to find programs for it Hardware you have to get through Apple

Linux:
I love linux because the liberty it has . The idea of free and open source is so good that I use linux most of my normal ***puting time . Its stable and secure virus free . And most importantly I feel myself a part of wonderful ***munity .
It still have some hardware and software in***patibility but it is enough for a ***mon user's daily ***puting needs .

All is my opinion I am not presenting as fact .

I like freeBSD and looking for up***ming OS "Haiku"

I am really eager to know your response .

I dont know what filter is doing *** means (c o m ) in my post

Spr0k3t
December 19th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I am really eager to know your response.

I don't like the ***panies Microsoft or Apple. Hate or loathe would be better words for my distaste of the mentioned. However, I give credit to their efforts and attempts at dominating. One thing in mind though, every time I go to use a mac I want to throw the ***puter across the office out of frustration, even if it is running Linux and not OSX. I've been damaging/destroying macs for a good four years now... I'm just destined to never understand the Steve Jobs Cool-aide (personally, that's a good thing).

Sean Moran
December 19th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Win95 and 98 were fine for a client machine, but I drew the line at XP. It just seemed too intrusive on my hardware, so I stuck with Win95 until I needed to move to 98 to get my ADSL to work.

I'd still be runing Win98 today if a neat Linux GUI like Ubuntu or Fedora etc. hadn't ***e along. I had the WINDOWS\ and Program_Files\ dirs whittled down to a .pair of zip files less than 100Mb each: one 16-bit pkzip to run from a fresh format/mbr and the other a 32-bit GUI install that piggybacked on the pkzip base, so if ever there was something suspected of being caused by a virus, I'ld just format the C: and have the system back up in ten minutes. All data always kept on different partitions to C: of course.

Now that we're approaching 2011 though, it's less of a worry to have caught up with the times at last, but I still keep all the old executable .zip files and setup.exes for the good old apps I used to run things on. Win9x wasn't bad once all the extra crap was taken out.

asifnaz
December 19th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I don't like the ***panies Microsoft or Apple. Hate or loathe would be better words for my distaste of the mentioned. However, I give credit to their efforts and attempts at dominating. One thing in mind though, every time I go to use a mac I want to throw the ***puter across the office out of frustration, even if it is running Linux and not OSX. I've been damaging/destroying macs for a good four years now... I'm just destined to never understand the Steve Jobs Cool-aide (personally, that's a good thing).
why would you throw a Mac if it is running Linux..???

trinitydan
December 19th, 2010, 07:55 AM
No middle click/funky rocker button maybe? :D

Quadunit404
December 19th, 2010, 08:10 AM
As stated in my signature, I'll use any OS as long as it isn't Windows Me. If you want I can PM you an entire rant about how much it sucks (which probably still isn't insulting enough towards that OS enough because it sucks so much saying it sucks is like giving it a gold medal)

weasel fierce
December 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM
My wife has a mac with os x and it seems to be pretty stable. After 3 years, it still runs just as good as it did when she bought it, and thats with basically no system maintenance whatsoever.

There's a decent amount of games for the mac, though the choices arent as vast as with windows of course.

Windows has never really worked out great for me. I haven't used 7 yet, so Im willing to be surprised. On one of my friends desktop it runs pretty smooth, but it was terrible on his netbook.

Computing for me began with C64s, the amiga and old PC's. To this day, I still have a hard time believing that the black and white beeping boxes from IBM could actually have become dominant, when compared to their competition in the mid 80's, but sometimes history amazes.

Kalimol
December 19th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Yeah, as Spr0k3t said, it's mostly the corporations, not the software, that are frustrating. If I were to switch to Mac or Windows, it would be to Mac - I like the stability and general sensible-ness of Unix standards - but OSX and Windows 7 are both capable and stable operating systems with a lot of perks. Using Linux, too, creates this odd persecution complex, knowing that most software companies, services, and hardware manufacturers offer minimal to no support for Linux systems.

Part of that is justified, though - Linux has the better architecture, and most of the problems really do come from a lack of support for enduser apps on one end and hardware on the other. All that support comes with a cost, because corporate support comes with corporate influence on how those applications come together, and personally, I really don't want to be forced to use a particular program or workflow based on someone's business model. At the same time, I have a very tweaked-up desktop environment that's unique and pretty and lets me get things done quickly and that simultaneously wouldn't make sense to most other users. I kind of need that.

So yes, I can appreciate that Windows 7 and OSX are really great systems, with OSX always innovating and Windows really catching up to the twenty-first century in the latest version, but I can do that from a distance, yes? = )

On the note of whether or not XP is "pretty": really, it looks very much like a fast food outlet, doesn't it? So ... pudgy, and so very colorful. I also no longer know how to use a system without animated window management and transparent bits.

Isn't this kind of a repetition of the same discussion in the Recurring Threads subforum, incidentally?

handy
December 19th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I've been out of the MS scheme of things for over 5 years now. Which is great as I fixed other peoples for over 10 years.

XP was certainly the best thing that they had made, & from what I read 7 is probably better.

OS X, is in this house, my wife runs her business off of it, I don't do much with my OS X, partition. Beyond sync my iPod Touch rarely, update my web site (also rarely) & do some work with Lightroom 3.

I like Arch, as I can make it is how I want it to be.

I also look forward to Haiku R1, & I expect that R2 will be a real knock out.

I've played with FreeBSD for some months & ran FeeNAS the FreeBSD based NAS system for over a year. They were all great.

All of the systems are great, I truly appreciate that we have so much choice, both commercial & free. What doesn't suit one persons needs/desires is perfect for someone else. Otherwise they wouldn't exist.

As far as hating anybody, or any corporations are concerned; fortunately I don't.

On a slight side note: I've said multiple times now in this forum, the quiet corporations that manufacture the chips & other electronic components are doing far more damage to our environment & in various third world countries than the in your face marketroids like Apple.

Apple has created & continues to develop its media persona in the best way it that its marketroids see fit to maximise their quarterly profits (like all of the other businesses) so it seems to have personality conflicts other strong personalities - egos.

Like it or lump it, you've got no chance of changing it.

asifnaz
December 19th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Preference and performance coupled with exposure and desire.
Some people cannot afford more.
Another may wish to search for another solution.
Few want to make their own solution.

Negative replies come from those with bad experiences.

I don't use Windows anymore but I still help my brother with his computers. This is over the phone.

I use Linux- for myself Ubuntu .

I try for FreeBSD on a "new" architecture. New here is "previously unexposed to."
I follow with OpenBSD and Net, if I can get it to work.

Again, If Linux works, it goes on the machine.

As far as haiku goes, maybe in a vm once.

I can't convince my brother to change his OS of choice; but, I may convince him to change it for his son.

Apple and MS are different beasts. Apple is a little more- not an amazing amount- open with source code but it costs.

Someone will argue that MS copies Linux and UNIX but its focus is on market share and control.

Linux hasn't changed; it's still a project for hobbyists.

GNU isn't UNIX but I'll be damned if it isn't. (For those who forget, Stallman admits to reverse engineering code. This means he didn't create anything at that time. And , no, I am not referring to emacs.)

BSD is UNIX. No, wait, it's a scrubbed UNIX. OpenBSD is a scrubbed NetBSD. (For explanation of this statement the UNIX/AT&T/BSD history will need to be studied.)

NightwishFan
December 19th, 2010, 10:29 AM
For the OS themselves I give them credit when they are due, and look forward to seeing linux and other free kernels improve to match them. Interface wise, I really do not know how Windows or OSX work, so I do not judge.

3Miro
December 19th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Win 95 was a bloated shell on top of DOS. It drained resources, while the most it gave you, was the ability to run two DOS shells at the same time. It also required pretty high end machine to run.

Win 98 was better than 95, however, it had no concept of security. You can still find videos on the web of people that we filmed without their knowledge. The best feature of 98 was multitasking, but it also meant that other people can remotely do things on your machine without you knowing.

Win NT was much better, but there were a lot of incompatibilities with Win 98 (many games did not run for example).

Win ME: worst ever, I definitely think it was worse than Vista.

Win 2000: stable, huge improvement on security compared to 98, quickly pushed aside by MS in favor of XP.

Win XP: when it came out, it required top of the line hardware just to run. It demanded a lot more resources than 2K, but it gave practically nothing back (compared to 2K). The only reason why XP is good today is because of the failure of Win Longhorn which lead to XP's unnatural life span. On a modern machine, XP is light, it has the advantage of eight years of security updates and developers had enough time to learn how to make good software for it.

Win Vista: the first windows that came with some concept of security (it at least has a firewall from the start). However, due to the changes in the kernel, it had huge trouble with drivers. It shows how dependent MS is on the hardware manufacturers for drivers and hence how fragile their monopoly is.

Win 7: fewer drivers issues, since it uses more or less the same drivers as Vista (manufacturers had more time to make compatible drivers). While security is leaps ahead, it still requires third party software to keep it secure and all the "new" features that it advertised were things I had been using on KDE long before. In other words: I am not impressed.

Furthermore, I am in scientific computing and while I can use windows for my home computer, I cannot do any real work on it. Windows cannot handle the power that I require for my job.

Mac: too much like Linux for someone like me to not like, however, there is a "bad apple" in that equation. All the good features of Mac come from somewhere else (except the end interface, which is also getting outdated). If Apple wanted to make a push on the Desktop market, they can easily lower their prices and use their good name to conquer, however, they are way too preoccupied with iGadgets. Macs often lag in offering the latest hardware and their machines are way overpriced.

Linux: the biggest flaw of Linux is that until Ubuntu, every large distribution would assume that the user knows what they are doing. Linux is rock soling "under the hood", hardware support is getting better and better (FOSS drivers do not suffer from the massive regression live Vista). Ubuntu beats windows on speed, security and stability. Ubuntu beats Mac on variety of hardware on which it runs as well as on the price (big time there). Hopefully with the new Unity interface Ubuntu will appeal to even more people. What Ubuntu lacks is the name and better marketing, as well as some commercial software like games.

This is without making a mention on philosophy like "freedom".

Tibuda
December 19th, 2010, 03:00 PM

this is vandalism

Swagman
December 19th, 2010, 03:04 PM
OP started with Win95

So he never used Amiga Workbench then ?

phrostbyte
December 19th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I give credit to Apple far far more than Microsoft. Microsoft mostly just copied Apple's ideas and used quazi-criminal business tactics to get to the position they are today.

Either way I think it's time for change, I am sick of companies who think they can sell something to a customer (even hardware these days) and STILL act like they own it. Apple is probably the most 'visible' in doing this.

Free Software will ultimately lead to a better, and more ethical software industry. People tend to underestimate the potential of it, they forget that virtually every technology companies (perhaps other than Microsoft) is a "customer" of Free Software. Apple and Google built the core of their business on top of it.

Ultimately the more we invest in free software and free culture, the better off we will be as a society. That includes the GNU/Linux desktop, but also fields such as medicine and AI.

Spr0k3t
December 19th, 2010, 05:17 PM
why would you throw a Mac if it is running Linux..???

Keyboard and mouse. How they feel and function. It's like forcing a body to step backwards through innovation to achieve functional use.

amx401
December 22nd, 2010, 01:35 AM
I am new to linux, but loved windows 98. I don't know why (no, I didn't know about gaping security holes at the time) but I absolutely loved it. And I have hated each new release more and more (except Windows 7 which I have not tried) which led me to linux.

Actually, I chose linux because my Vista computer was so bogged down by **** that I would rather pay nothing to try ubuntu than renew anti-virus again.

I have only used a macbook on a few occasions, and I hate the gui due to unfamiliarity. A new addition to our family a year ago is a "Mac-girl" and she swears by it. It is more secure than Windows, but it's just not for me.

After learning more about open source and apple, I don't want to buy anything from them on principle. I loved the ipod back in the day, but found a different brand name at less than half price that worked well, but didn't have the touch circle. Never had a problem with anything on it.

I give windows credit for making everyone believe that they were the only OS worth anything and apple credit for making everyone else believe they are the only other one.

I give linux credit for being the most secure and having awesome people like you helping people like me learn more. Unfortunately, not everything is compatible. Such is life.

Khakilang
December 22nd, 2010, 04:05 AM
I was excited when I first saw Window 3.0 with its graphics and user friendly and compare to DOS this is godsend but after Window 98, everything seem to go down hill. It is the virus that spoilt an otherwise a gem to use. Window XP doesn't seem to be compatible with some of the hardware. Vista was hate by some user who revert back to Window XP. Window 7 seem to win much favour from user but I have just format some computer because of virus infected. I think Window 7 is the most polish and much improve version among all the Window but doesn't work on older hardware.

My sister use a Macintosh and its fun to use but than it is costly if you really want to use it even for fun and its work only with their hardware. That mean you cannot build your own computer to run Mac OS.

Since I use to build my own computer and have salvage some old computer. Linux has put some live in it and it as useful as when it was brand new. And there are variety of Distro to suit older computer. I may try BSD one day and see how it work.

NightwishFan
December 22nd, 2010, 04:07 AM
Khakilang, you might be interested in Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and Haiku OS. I am sure they would welcome testers:

http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/
http://www.haiku-os.org/

Phrea
December 22nd, 2010, 04:13 AM

Really well said.

Khakilang
December 22nd, 2010, 04:37 AM
Khakilang, you might be interested in Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and Haiku OS. I am sure they would welcome testers:

http://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/
http://www.haiku-os.org/

Already bookmark for future reference. Thanks.

MisterGaribaldi
December 22nd, 2010, 05:05 AM
Recurring Discussions in 3... 2... 1...

You folks can hate on anyone you like. I have always had a problem with Microsoft's business practices, and especially in the last few years Apple hasn't exactly been endearing themselves to me, either.

That being said, since the point of this thread is basically "credit where credit is due", Apple has overall contributed far more than Microsoft ever has. People also want to go around saying "Microsoft brought computers to the masses! All Hail Bill Gates!" but honestly that's really a load of crap.

Apple both invented and pioneered the use of others' inventions in their hardware. In general, they were really lightyears ahead, especially in the 80s and early 90s, of the PC crowd. Both the Apple II and Mac platforms blazed a LOT of trails.

On the other hand, the entirety of the computer world became increasingly what is called "commoditized" during the 1990s, and as a result of there being the killer app called "email" (which implies some sort of growth of telecommunications and eventually the Internet) transformed computers from being "geek toys" to being "socially accepted tools". This as much as anything drove the popularity of computers as we know it today. Frankly, as much as most of us hate them, we actually can thank AOL for this as they were pretty much the ISP of choice back then.

The rise in the popularity of computers and the radical outsourcing and overseas-ing of computer manufacturing brought the prices down, and this simply fueled the fires. Microsoft simply rode coat-tails of this massive phenomenon, and had a solid (if crooked) head on their shoulders when it came to licensing, and that made them the dominant player, especially when just about everyone else in the tech space faded away.

kaldor
December 22nd, 2010, 06:01 AM

Maybe you need your beloved Linux PC smashed as well. Have a good life.

NightwishFan
December 22nd, 2010, 06:02 AM
Maybe you need your beloved Linux PC smashed as well. Have a good life.

Ouch. He even pulled the "have a good life", I will bet that stings. :p

kaldor
December 22nd, 2010, 06:03 AM
Ouch. He even pulled the "have a good life", I will bet that stings. :p

If someone cares so much about machines/FOSS that they'd go out of their way to smash other machines, then yes I will pull that :)

NightwishFan
December 22nd, 2010, 06:10 AM
I would like to see that actually. WHAT? Is that a MAC? Where is my club?

kaldor
December 22nd, 2010, 06:14 AM
Point being is that Macs are perfectly fine. Smashing Macs because they're made by a company is childish. Nobody's forcing anyone to use them. If people want to buy into big business, let them.

Those old Macs could have gone to people who may have needed them. Oh right, they're made by Apple; my argument's invalid.

RiceMonster
December 22nd, 2010, 06:27 AM
Win 7: ... it still requires third party software to keep it secure

No it doesn't. The only way you can argue that is by bringing up anti-virus, in-which case you can use MSE, which is not third party, and also top-quality.

all the "new" features that it advertised were things I had been using on KDE long before.

People keep saying this, but I cannot think of any.

NightwishFan
December 22nd, 2010, 06:49 AM
Well I do not like OSX, however I certainly will not go around smashing them. It would just be funny to see. I like Apple in the OS9 era.

jerenept
December 22nd, 2010, 07:10 AM
Well I do not like OSX, however I certainly will not go around smashing them. It would just be funny to see. I like Apple in the OS9 era.

Without protected memory, or proper multitasking? There was no concept of process priority, one greedy program could lock up an entire system.

kaldor
December 22nd, 2010, 07:19 AM
Without protected memory, or proper multitasking? There was no concept of process priority, one greedy program could lock up an entire system.

Yep... there was good reason Apple nearly flopped :)

Elfy
December 22nd, 2010, 08:11 AM
So another bash the OS thread dressed up in let's not bash the OS get's closed.