PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Display For Two Different Apps - Same Problem?

demonboy
December 19th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Hi,

I require the use of two apps that appear to have similar problems and am wondering if they stem from the same problem. Both have been installed from .deb files and are not part of the official repos.

The first is OpenCPN which, when installed, creates a menu entry. The the initial splash screen displays but after clicking OK, nothing appears at all.

The second is Inform 7, which was working fine for a couple of days. Now the Game tab is empty. This is the tab that renders a version of the final game whilst working on it.

Without knowing the two apps I realise it is difficult to get an understanding of what is wrong with them but it seems to be my machine that's at fault, not the apps as apparently they run fine on other people's machines.

What checks can I do to get to the bottom of these problems? Any pointers? Does it sound like something is missing from my machine?

noah++
December 19th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I don't know about those apps, but I am having a similar problem in Meerkat with a file sync program called Unison. Its GUI disappears before I can do anything useful with it, though the process remains running.

Are you using the new Unity shell (no relation to Unison), as I am?

demonboy
December 20th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hi Noah, been trying to answer your question for the last 24 hours. Terribly slow connection here. Anyway, I'm afraid this has nothing to do with Unity, I'm afraid.