PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Not installing

aroog
December 19th, 2010, 05:45 AM
hi,

i am new to linux system. i downloaded ubuntu netbook 10 edition for my lap top.

once download and my usb disk is ***pleted i tried to install unbuntu on my laptop. the current window installed on my system is windows 7.
i am unable to install Ubuntu OS on my laptop as there is a file error(cant remember the file name)that stops the installation.

can you please advise if the downloaded file was corrupted or else?

i need to know the answer very urgently.

thanks

Quackers
December 19th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Wel***e to UF :-)
To check the downloaded iso file for errors

https://help.ubuntu.***/***munity/HowToMD5SUM

When booting from the Live cd/usb if you tap the F6 key you should get a screen with some options. Run the "check cd for errors" one.

Edit
It appears that the letters c o m are being sensored! Please add them back in for the link address.

aroog
December 19th, 2010, 06:09 AM
hey,

thanks.

i have checked my file that is not corrupted. now i am left with live CD option.

i will check it out and will post the results.

Quackers
December 19th, 2010, 06:10 AM
If the MD5sum checked out ok but the cd reports errors, try burning the image again at a lower speed. The lowest possible is best :-)

aroog
December 19th, 2010, 09:50 AM
hey i am trying to do it on usb...do you think usb is the problem?

aroog
December 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM
it worked out at last.

os is installed on my system.

now i am facing another issue.

i dont know where ubuntu disappeared after installation.

i installed it along with Windows 7 in separate drive. and that drive is not visible as well.

any solutions?

waiting for response.

sikander3786
December 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
it worked out at last.

os is installed on my system.

now i am facing another issue.

i dont know where ubuntu disappeared after installation.

i installed it along with Windows 7 in separate drive. and that drive is not visible as well.

any solutions?

waiting for response.
Do you mean you installed to a separte HDD or just a seperate partition?

If it was installed to a separate HDD, you might need to configure your Bios to boot from that HDD instead.

If the Ubuntu installation completed without any errors, it is supposed to be there where you installed it :-)

aroog
December 19th, 2010, 03:52 PM
in separate partition.

sikander3786
December 19th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Ok. Boot an Ubuntu Live CD/USB and post the output of bootinfoscript as per instructions here.

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net

It would help us figure out any problems with Ubuntu or Grub (Ubuntu bootloader).

While posting, click the # icon in post menu and paste your text in between the generated code tags.