PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus Properties thought

Kalimol
December 19th, 2010, 05:25 AM
An odd thought, but I've been cleaning up some old files and just generally doing spring cleaning on my hard drive at the end of the semester. I'm on an Eee S101, so I have a not-at-all upgradeable 32 gigs of space to work with - I have to do this rather regularly. At any rate, I've been doing a lot of comparing directory sizes, dates modified, etc. in the last couple of hours. In other words, I've been living in the Properties dialog. I looked up the keystroke when I got tired of right clicking, but what I began to wonder is this:

For tasks like this, wouldn't it make sense to have the properties dialog as a right-hand pane instead, something you could toggle on the icon bar above? Select a directory or file, and the properties pane would populate exactly as it does in the dialog?

I poked around and found out that this has actually been discussed before - someone had it as a suggestion in 2006 on this forum - but I wondered what you all might think of it. Along with a reasonable way to search for "containing text" in .pdfs (Beagle does not), the tooltip function in Windows' file manager is one of the very few things I miss about using Windows, but even that was extremely limited - barely more than Nautilus' status bar provides.

When I poke around for Nautilus alternatives, most people suggest Thunar (because it's less "bloated" with actually useful features) or Konqueror (because it's more bloated with features I can't really understand the purpose of), but neither of those comes close to the convenience of Nautilus, which just feels like a more robust way of working with files than most managers provide - the audio-preview-on-hover still makes me giggle inside, and I don't know that anyone else does pdf thumbnails. It creates this expectation, though, like some part of my brain actually expects there to be a toggleable properties pane....

So I guess, in some neurotic way, I'm asking if this is a weird hole in anyone else's Nautilus experience.

bikeboy
December 19th, 2010, 05:42 AM
For tasks like this, wouldn't it make sense to have the properties dialog as a right-hand pane instead, something you could toggle on the icon bar above? Select a directory or file, and the properties pane would populate exactly as it does in the dialog?

For this, you can click where it says "Places" above the side pane and change it to "Information". That will show you modified dates and file sizes, though the latter also appear in the status bar. In addition, you might find the Disk Usage Analyser (baobab) useful for finding areas of your filesystem that are taking up a lot of space. Pretty sure it's still installed by default.

Along with a reasonable way to search for "containing text" in .pdfs (Beagle does not) I'm sure Beagle should if it's configured correctly but I've not used it. Tracker and its associated search GUI do it though. I've been using it for a few years for that purpose. Of course, PDFs that are just scanned images won't work.

Kalimol
December 19th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Ooh, nice - thanks! I wish it showed the sum size of directory contents, though. Still - good stuff, and the Date Modified is the bit I really wanted.

And yes, Baobab looks extremely useful. I'd never tried it before, but it's exactly what I should have been using earlier. = ) Thanks!

I'll look into Tracker, too - sounds good. = ) I'd momentarily thought that maybe the pdfs I was looking at didn't contain text info, but the text is selectable and searchable within Adobe or Document Viewer.

Edit: Oh wow. I realized that it wasn't actually Beagle that I was using, that I didn't have indexing turned on, and so on, in the process of installing Tracker, but long story short, Tracker is everything I'd hoped for in a search tool. Fast, smart, and ***plete. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

bikeboy
December 19th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I wish it showed the sum size of directory contents, though.

I agree that would be a nice addition. Could be worth filing a bug for that small change, or perhaps Nautilus Elementary does it (or will be receptive to the idea).

xycris
November 25th, 2011, 11:02 AM
For this, you can click where it says "Places" above the side pane and change it to "Information". That will show you modified dates and file sizes, though the latter also appear in the status bar. In addition, you might find the Disk Usage Analyser (baobab) useful for finding areas of your filesystem that are taking up a lot of space. Pretty sure it's still installed by default.

Hope that feature is present in the Ubuntu 11.10 Nautilus. I seem to be lost. Hopefully this feature too:

Ooh, nice - thanks! I wish it showed the sum size of directory contents, though.

Also, hopefully the information panel will not remove the places or tree panel and will still be there despite showing the extra pane (making it a total of 4 groupings majour panes).

However, I am not sure if this is the place to air this suggestion. Nautulis is not controlled by Ubuntu.

koleoptero
November 25th, 2011, 05:44 PM
A better way to see what takes up all the space is using baobab. Check it out and you'll see.

EDIT: Eh, mentioned already of course. It's not a nautilus addon, it's a separate program and must be already installed iirc. Having nautilus analyzing the contents of folders all the time is wasteful. If it's added as a feature in the filesystem though...