PDA

View Full Version : Replace Microsoft Money

shadowfax1
December 19th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Anyone know of a program similar to MS money?

ki4jgt
December 19th, 2010, 05:23 AM
HomeBank

73ckn797
December 19th, 2010, 05:33 AM
KMyMoney is good. Export from MS Money to a QIF file and import to KMyMoney.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
December 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Jgnash - beats them all. Runs on all platforms, is true double entry accounting made easy, can have multiple concurrent users if desired and can import banking files and get live stock price updates.

cptrohn
December 20th, 2010, 12:53 AM
+1 for Kmymoney.

samalex
December 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I did some research with finding a good home money management app a few months ago, and honestly though there are some great ones out there I ended up just using a spreadsheet in OOo. Each app has its own learning curve and some even have some bugs or 'features' that made me constantly recheck totals or hit message forums to see why something worked the way it did. I've toyed around with writing something that works the way I want it to, but honestly a well written spreadsheet works very well. It's a manual process to update it, but you'll see every penny that comes in or goes out of your account.

FWIW --

donkyhotay
December 20th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I use gnucash

Arla
December 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
+1 gnucash, although may have to look into jgnash just for interest.

forrestcupp
December 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
GnuCash is pretty good software, and it's cross platform. My main complaint about GnuCash is that it does a great job of importing data, but it doesn't give you any way to export your file. So if you ever decide you want to use something else, you have to manually re-enter everything.

But I haven't used GnuCash for a long time, so they may have added that functionality.

scottjspencer
December 20th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I also recently started using GnuCash. It works pretty well for everything I want it to do so far.

forrestcupp -- I don't think there's any way to export from within GnuCash, but the FAQ has links to programs which will convert the GnuCash XML file to a Gnumeric spreadsheet or a QIF file:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_can_I_export_data.3F

forrestcupp
December 20th, 2010, 09:28 PM
forrestcupp -- I don't think there's any way to export from within GnuCash, but the FAQ has links to programs which will convert the GnuCash XML file to a Gnumeric spreadsheet or a QIF file:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_can_I_export_data.3F

Yeah, back when I was using GnuCash, I tried that out. It didn't work. I can't remember what happened, either the 2nd program couldn't really convert the spreadsheet data into a QIF, or the resulting QIF wouldn't import into other programs like a real QIF file would. Whatever the case, it didn't work in the end, and I had to enter everything manually.

Maybe by now those 3rd party programs have the bugs worked out. GnuCash really needs to add export functionality. Other than that huge problem, it's a great program.

kgarbutt
December 20th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I would recommend GnuCash too. It is very nice.