PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install answering machine on 10.10?

alvinmoneypit
December 18th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hi,
Just wanted to check to see if anyone uses a voice modem for an answering machine and how they got it to work.

I have a Motorola SM56 modem installed but Ubuntu doesn't 'see' it at all, even though I found a linux program the queried it and found all it's details. I found the mgetty program that should be able to do the answering machine functions but I'm trying to set it up.

The guys at 'linmodems' who offered the modem testing program haven't responded and the last posts from them on their site are quite old. However, they had drivers posted for older versions of linux and they had some folks who were able to use them in Ubuntu, but that was back in 2006.

I'm guessing there is a better solution out there now, I just haven't found it yet. Why doesn't Ubuntu report the card in the pci slot at least acknowledge its existence?

Sef
December 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Why doesn't Ubuntu report the card in the pci slot at least acknowledge its existence?

Most likely a driver problem. A driver is a small piece of software that makes device work on an operating system.

alvinmoneypit
December 18th, 2010, 10:50 PM
so your saying a driver for my motherboard isn't working? This is a new install of ubuntu - why doesn't it report stuff in my pci slots. Other programs found this modem, but I haven't installed any drivers.

If I'm missing something in my Ubuntu install, I'd like to get. What is it called if you please?

alvinmoneypit
January 13th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I put in another modem I found. Ubuntu found a driver for it. The system sees it on here now. What is the best program for it to use it as an answering machine?