PDA

View Full Version : Unrelated compiz question

wirate
December 18th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hello
I am trying to use compiz on OpenSUSE KDE. I launch CCSM, enable some plugins, close it, start it again and all of them are disabled again. I have the compiz package installed.
Thank you

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Don't they have openSUSE forums that could help you better with a support question for openSUSE?

wirate
December 18th, 2010, 08:32 PM
They are slow :P

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2010, 08:37 PM
There used to be some openSUSE users around here, but they are probably the minority. There are probably more openSUSE haters here than users. :)

wirate
December 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
why haters? Its all about being open right? but lets not start a distro battle :P

akand074
December 18th, 2010, 08:44 PM
There used to be some openSUSE users around here, but they are probably the minority. There are probably more openSUSE haters here than users. :)

I disagree, I've seen plenty of people seeking help with other distributions.

Do you have your proprietary drivers installed? If not you should definitely do that first. I'd also say you should put your visual effects to "extra" in the appearance menu, but I'm not sure how it works in openSUSE I've only played around with it a few times quite a while back.

Sef
December 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Here is a thread (http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=11143&start=0) that could possibly help you.

Here is what I googled (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&client=ubuntu&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=ompiz+on+OpenSUSE+KDE.+I+launch+CCSM,+enable+som e+plugins,+close+it,+start+it+again+and+all+of+the m+are+disabled+again.) to find that thread.

wirate
December 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I disagree, I've seen plenty of people seeking help with other distributions.

Do you have your proprietary drivers installed? If not you should definitely do that first. I'd also say you should put your visual effects to "extra" in the appearance menu, but I'm not sure how it works in openSUSE I've only played around with it a few times quite a while back.

I am sure I have them installed since kwin (the kde window manager) does desktop effects fine.

hhh
December 18th, 2010, 09:58 PM
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/applications/451098-kde-turn-off-compiz-all-time.html

For the brief time I tried openSuse (6 months ago), their forums are some of the best around.

CharlesA
December 18th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Moved to Desktop Environments.

Mistiq Dragon
December 18th, 2010, 10:25 PM

Mistiq Dragon
December 18th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I am sure I have them installed since kwin (the kde window manager) does desktop effects fine.

I could be completely wrong here, but I thought Kwin doesn't need hardware drivers to be effective. I seem to remember using Kwin (Linux Mint KDE) without enabling anything.

If I'm wrong, I apologise. I just thought that you using Kwin doesn't necessarily mean that you have ur drivers enabled.

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2010, 11:16 PM
why haters? Its all about being open right? but lets not start a distro battle :PHey, I don't have a problem with it. Some people just didn't like Novell because of the Microsoft deals, Mono, etc. I never had a problem with any of that.

I could be completely wrong here, but I thought Kwin doesn't need hardware drivers to be effective. I seem to remember using Kwin (Linux Mint KDE) without enabling anything.

If I'm wrong, I apologise. I just thought that you using Kwin doesn't necessarily mean that you have ur drivers enabled.
I could also be wrong, but I think kwin works without hardware acceleration, but the built-in effects probably do not.