PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help Please Urgent (ubuntu upgrade crashed)

sunseeker888
December 18th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hi Guys

I think this is the worst thins that have ever happened to me using ubuntu

I am very desperate here

Here's a description of my problem

I was running 10.04.

Decided to do a full upgrade today

I have 3 monitors (multiheads)

While upgrading, the XandR was missing (read in the terminal), and the upgrade froze for an hour or so. it would not move at all

So I rebooted, and to my horror,now the pc is not longer booting

I have tried to go recovery, and it seems this ain't working too now.

I do not know how to use command prompt.

My problem is exacebated due to the fact my home directory is encrypted and using a live cd, I can't see my files. DOH DOH DOH, I lost the keys.

How to repair 10.04, say a restore, before everything was working. I just want to back up my files in my home directory

I have 4 1.5TB hdd, and pretty sure the other are fine. I am relauctantant to wipe sda, because I do not remember which file I had in them, as I was away for 3 months on a business trip.

All I need to get back my data, then I can do the upgrade.

If I simply start 10.04, after the splash screen disappear, it seems the video drivers are not detected, and the monitors power down (Nvidia GTX 260)

how to use recovery, if there ain't much info. I try repair broken package, the system say could not load some stuff, and it goes in a recurrent mode.

Any advise will be much appreciate. I have about 700GB on sda, so I must have loads data on it, and unsure which ones are backed up.

whtlime
December 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I am not familiar with data recovery, but the Ubuntu-Help page for data-recovery gives nice guidelines using a live usb:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

- whtlime

sunseeker888
December 18th, 2010, 06:19 PM
HI

thanks for your reply. My problem is that home directory is encrypted and cannot find the keys, so basically I need to repair that disk somehow.

I do not how to use the recovery mode. It's that XandR missing that screwed the system.

running failsafex, I get this message "ubunut is running in low graphic mode". your screen , graphic and iput settings could not be detected correctly. you will need to configure this yourself.

use low graphic mode for one session only, the system freezes,and even I choose 10.04 recovery mode , now i get a frozen screen of 10.10

I am not familiar with data recovery, but the Ubuntu-Help page for data-recovery gives nice guidelines using a live usb:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

- whtlime

sunseeker888
December 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Ok

I have managed to sort the upgrade. I can log in. But have some other sorts of problem.

So basically this thread is solved