PDA

View Full Version : Python Shebang

rcktsingh
December 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hi All,

I have done quite a bit of Python programming. But never have I used the shebang -

#!/usr/bin/python

1) What's the exact purpose of this piece of code ?

2) How does this line accomplish its task ?

3) As I said, I have never used it. But I was going through a tutorial and they said we must put it as our 1st line in any python code. Why didn't it affect me ?

4) Hows it different from

#!/usr/bin/env python

Any help is highly appreciated. I did go thru wikipedia stuffs but didn't quite get a hold of it.

Cheers and Happy Holidays people.
TIA:guitar:

scottykal12
December 18th, 2010, 05:50 PM
From the little programming I've done, both do the same thing.
They tell Ubuntu what program to use (python) when running the program.

But what is also interesting if you have different versions of python and want to use a older version just and the version number to the end
like if you want to use python 2.4
#!/usr/bin/python2.4
or
#!/usr/bin/env python2.4

surfer
December 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM
if you have an executable file, your shell (usually bash) will look at its first line. if it encounters #! it will expect the remaining part of that line to be an executable binary. bash will start this (the python interpreter in your case) and pass the file to it.

the variant 4) may be a little more portable, as other distributions may not install python under /usr/bin/. i prefer the /usr/bin/python version...

surfer
December 18th, 2010, 06:06 PM
just as an example: make this file executable and run it in bash:

#!/bin/cat

hello world

wmcbrine
December 19th, 2010, 12:08 AM
In short, it's a Unix thing rather than a Python thing. But it's part of Python's heritage as a "scripting language", and it's the reason that "#" is the comment marker in Python.

The only purpose of this line is to allow direct execution of the script from the shell; i.e.:

./script.py

as opposed to:

python script.py

You also have to mark the file as executable for this to work.

It's most useful in the context of adding a new command to the system, where you'd put it somewhere in the PATH (eliminating the need for "./"), and probably leave off the ".py" -- so you'd start it just by typing:

script

roccivic
December 19th, 2010, 12:26 AM
There is almost no difference. Try:

env --help

rcktsingh
December 19th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Awesome guys. Thanks. That was helpful. Ofcourse, I would love to have more answers. :D

diesch
December 19th, 2010, 02:20 PM
if you have an executable file, your shell (usually bash) will look at its first line. if it encounters #! it will expect the remaining part of that line to be an executable binary. bash will start this (the python interpreter in your case) and pass the file to it.

It's not the shell but the kernel that evaluates the shebang line.

Vox754
December 19th, 2010, 05:48 PM
In short, it's a Unix thing rather than a Python thing. But it's part of Python's heritage as a "scripting language", and it's the reason that "#" is the comment marker in Python.

The only purpose of this line is to allow direct execution of the script from the shell; i.e.:

./script.py

as opposed to:

python script.py

You also have to mark the file as executable for this to work.

It's most useful in the context of adding a new command to the system, where you'd put it somewhere in the PATH (eliminating the need for "./"), and probably leave off the ".py" -- so you'd start it just by typing:

script

Wonderful. This is the best explanation I've read in a while.

Essentially, the shebang makes a script (bash, python, perl, whatever) behave like any other binary executable.

In order to run a file you give it's full path name

/usr/bin/executable

If it's in one of the directories that appear in $PATH, you only give the executable name

executable

As long as "executable" has a shebang, it will be run by its appropriate interpreter. So, from an outside perspective, it doesn't matter if "executable" is a binary file produced by a C, C++, Fortran, etc. compiler, or if it's a script.

surfer
December 20th, 2010, 02:23 PM
It's not the shell but the kernel that evaluates the shebang line.

you're right of course! my mistake!