PDA

View Full Version : gripes about mysql and microsoft changes

sdowney717
December 18th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I wrote a vb6 app a few years ago. So today I was moving the database to a new PC. Downloaded the latest 5.5 community server and got foobarred. Downloaded the older 5.1 and got foobarred.

Searched web and found 5.0 servers and got it working.
The mysql people change the required database command structures all the time on me and I was developing starting with mysql 3 servers. Every time they go up levels, things start braking.
And I got double whammies, since the vb6 app was written on a pc using XP, now my pc runs vista and it is choking on so many items it is disgusting.

So I guess I can spend ages trying to make vista function or just use an old XP machine for that app.

I suppose for the mysql compatibility issues, I could export the database and import it into the new server.
However, my program language likely has syntax issues with the newer database servers, so it is test to break and fix and test.

sdowney717
December 18th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I suppose this means dont bother trying

The Visual Basic 6.0 IDE

The Visual Basic 6.0 IDE is no longer supported as of April 8, 2008. However, Custom Support Agreements may be available from Microsoft. Additionally, both the Windows and Visual Basic teams have tested Visual Basic 6.0 IDE on Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 to understand and mitigate (if appropriate) serious regressions in application compatibility. This announcement does not change the support policy for the IDE.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/ms788708