PDA

View Full Version : Adblock in firefox and chrome

lorderico
December 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hey guys,

I've been using chrome for a while now, but for some reason The adblocking doesn't seem to work as well as on firefox. Specifically, Video ads still appear before videos in chrome, whereas they don't in firefox. Even more specifically, ComedyCentral.com ads appear before video in chrome but not firefox. I have tried adblok, adblock chromium, and adthrawt, but none work. They also claim to subscribe to the same lists as adblock plus in firefox. What could be the problem here?

Thanks,

Eric

1985davidwhite
December 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
For speed purpose chome is good but if you want to get feature too then firefox is the best

madjr
December 18th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hey guys,

I've been using chrome for a while now, but for some reason The adblocking doesn't seem to work as well as on firefox. Specifically, Video ads still appear before videos in chrome, whereas they don't in firefox. Even more specifically, ComedyCentral.com ads appear before video in chrome but not firefox. I have tried adblok, adblock chromium, and adthrawt, but none work. They also claim to subscribe to the same lists as adblock plus in firefox. What could be the problem here?

Thanks,

Eric

i think you should contact the developers on that and place the bug reports.

Joeb454
December 18th, 2010, 05:32 PM
It could also be that you're subscribed to different block lists on the 2 browsers

lorderico
December 18th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I just checked. Here is what I use:

on chrome (both windows 7 and linux): easylist and addblock custom.
both os's don't work.
on firefix (both w7 and linux): easylist or fanboy list (both work)

theoretically, easylist should block the same on both browsers

Eric

cgroza
December 18th, 2010, 06:23 PM
for speed purpose chome is good but if you want to get feature too then firefox is the best
this!

lorderico
December 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM
alright.... if you say so. It seems like there not a good reason that chrome adblock can't work as well firefox. I guess I'll just have to wait till adblock plus on chrome

lorderico
December 18th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Ok, i submitted a bug report, and i got this response back:

We cannot detect and/or block ads in videos yet. Chrome doesn't allow us to...

That explains a little.

Eric

jmszr
December 18th, 2010, 07:29 PM
lorderico,

This should be of interest to you: http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/15/adblock-plus-chrome/ .

Looks like good news for Chrome browser fans, hopefully it will deal with video ads.

Giant Speck
December 18th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Aren't the Chrome and Firefox AdBlock extensions maintained by two different developers?

beringse
December 18th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have Adblock and Ghostery running on Chrome 8.0. Maybe try running both? Works Ok for me.

ki4jgt
December 18th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I got rid of adblock (discovered what I really wanted to block was flash content) So I got FlashBlock. It's awesome. I don't know what I ever did without it.

***EDIT: It draws out boxes around the flash content, and then allows you to click on them if you want to see them.