PDA

View Full Version : air cooling

P1C0
December 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM
It is strange I didn't find any threads with "air cooling" on their title, so I'll start one.

Fortunately yesterday I needed to open the case to install a new sata drive and I found out that the fan placed in front of the disks wasn't working.
I should have known the fan was dead because for a couple of months it made strange noises and the last 2-3 days the box was very (suspiciously) )silent..

Good thing it is winter and the room is a bit cold, but still the sata drive was reaching temperatures up to 47° C in very light use of Lucid.

First thing this morning I bought a new 120'' fan with an airflow of 61 cfm, I installed it, booted into Lucid, opened disk uitlity to view S.M.A.R.T values and temperature was 33° C.

Impressive what a little bit of air flow can achieve, 14° C difference!

juancarlospaco
December 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Cold story bro

grahammechanical
December 18th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Thank you for bringing Disc Utility to my attention. I had not noticed its existence or its usefulness until you mentioned it in your post.

Regards.

P1C0
December 18th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Thank you for bringing Disc Utility to my attention. I had not noticed its existence or its usefulness until you mentioned it in your post.

Regards.
Then you will probably find usefull: lm-sensors, hddtemp, sensors-applet.

I have 4 icons in my panel monitoring GPU, CPU, mobo and hard drive temperatures, in 5 sec intervals.