PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] why does ubuntu show my HDMI port on video card as a digital sound device?

alvinmoneypit
December 18th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I was investigating sound and noticed ubuntu reports I have 2 sound devices, one labelled as HDMI so the only HDMI connection I have is on the video card. But if I go into terminal and detect my sound modules, they appear to me to be identical - How is this?

$ cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_hda_intel

daqron
December 18th, 2010, 06:22 AM
HDMI is a digital sound device. Also, /proc/asound/modules is a list of drivers, not devices. It is likely that you have two sound devices on your system, and they are both using the HDA Intel driver.

If you go into your sound preferences, or alsamixer on the command line then F6, do you see two different devices to select from?

alvinmoneypit
December 18th, 2010, 06:43 AM
yes, they show them both. I thought HDMI was a video device only.

So should I disable it? I wonder if it can conflict sometimes with my onboard 5.1 sound.

daqron
December 18th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I thought HDMI was a video device only. HDMI is both video and audio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi).

So should I disable it? I wonder if it can conflict sometimes with my onboard 5.1 sound.
Probably not necessary to disable it unless it's actually causing problems, especially if that is your active video card. I have a similar setup and use both cards without any issues.