PDA

View Full Version : Tron Legacy

salemboot
December 18th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Wow, just saw the movie tonight. Well worth the wait.
Tron is what made me decide at an early age to program computers.
There I was thinking about what I would be doing in 10 years.

Too bad the systems still aren't free from tyrants. :)

In real life and virtual :):popcorn:

Gremlinzzz
December 18th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Sounds like a good movie must see:D.

andymorton
December 18th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I had the first Tron film on video when I was a kid and I watched it over and over again. I think I'll have to see the new one pretty soon!:D

MisterGaribaldi
December 18th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I'm old enough to have seen the original in the theater. I have been pretty excited about the new one, but having been burned by several movies over the years, I am skeptical about going to see this one. The fact that ticket prices have also gone up four-fold since then doesn't really help matters.

I'd really love to hear more from classic fans about this. I might even go to see it.

ssulaco
December 18th, 2010, 06:05 AM
I remember the original Tron (82),great movie,I do plan on seeing new Tron on the big screen.reviews seem to be pretty good.

off subject....anyone had a chance to see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader?

VorpalBunny
December 18th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I work at a theatre, so I was able to see the new Tron Thursday night. Unfortunately, I had just come from the bar so I ended up sleeping through it. :(

As for Chronicles of Narnia, I thought it was the best one yet, but it remained hit or miss like the others. I think the series tries to be epic, but the PG rating and juvenile, trumpet-blowing good-vs-evil treatment dumb things down too much. There are really cheesy moments in all of them in my opinion. The acting was better here though, and when it hit the mark it was really powerful. Still, I think that unless you're a rabid fan of the books or previous movies it would be tedious to wade through all the melodrama to get the occasional well-done scene.

cascade9
December 18th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Am I the only person who didnt like tron?

As for Chronicles of Narnia, I thought it was the best one yet, but it remained hit or miss like the others. I think the series tries to be epic, but the PG rating and juvenile, trumpet-blowing good-vs-evil treatment dumb things down too much.

Which is pretty much how the book were as well. Lets fce it, the whole series is a christian analogy.......

Giant Speck
December 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM
In terms of visual effects and sound, it was an absolute work of art.

In terms of the plot, it was an absolute piece of crap.

cairn
December 19th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Did anyone else notice "Ubuntu" scroll by in the terminal code near the beginning of Tron" Legacy? I don't want to be any more specific about the scene so I don't spoil it...

salemboot
December 19th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I'm a fan of the original and now the new movie.

I think there were several questions with respect to the original that got answered. The movie doesn't drag and has a decent story. I liked that it didn't linger to long with mush.

Overall I think we got to see what Steven Lisberger wanted to show us back in 82 but was limited by cost and sheer complexity.

But I would have liked to see Yori/Laura pop up again. Maybe she did while I was eyeing the fembot at the club.

As far as sequels go this one gets an 10 from me. Lot's of attention to detail. I actually walked out of the theater happy. This compared to the time I saw Matrix part 2 in the theater. Matrix part 2, 6/10. I was moody.

Now if when they release the movie they'd go ahead and release the special addition first. I'd be really stoked.

Spr0k3t
December 19th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Did anyone else notice "Ubuntu" scroll by in the terminal code near the beginning of Tron" Legacy? I don't want to be any more specific about the scene so I don't spoil it...

Saw it... Wonder if Canonical knows about that?

Brilliant movie... not the greatest of plot lines... the human factor was done very well however. Love me some Daft Punk... sending some more money to their personal exposure next time they ***e back through town.

Ellipsis
December 19th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Saw it... Wonder if Canonical knows about that?

Brilliant movie... not the greatest of plot lines... the human factor was done very well however. Love me some Daft Punk... sending some more money to their personal exposure next time they ***e back through town.

Anyone got a clip of that scene on youtube or elsewhere? I saw it flash by and was like OMG! They DID NOT do that!

They also talked a bit about "free and open source" software (not in those exact words) for a moment.

Rowan187
December 19th, 2010, 03:44 PM

YES! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was paying attention to a lot of the tech-related stuff in the movie to see how it all panned out. The only weird thing to me was they were talking about finally releasing version 12 of their OS. Why would one of the main employees be using Ubuntu and not version 11 or 12 of their own software? Maybe I looked too far into it :P

Also: use of the terms "purge" and "ISOs"

Spr0k3t
December 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Did anyone else catch the not so 20+ years of uptime in the top window?

Rococoloco
December 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM
YES! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was paying attention to a lot of the tech-related stuff in the movie to see how it all panned out. The only weird thing to me was they were talking about finally releasing version 12 of their OS. Why would one of the main employees be using Ubuntu and not version 11 or 12 of their own software? Maybe I looked too far into it :P

Probably because, short of building their own OS for the film, Ubuntu would not be as recognised as W7 or OSX, that would extremely conspicuous, not being familiar with the OS would have been important maintaining the otherworldlyness of the film, could you imagine if they used a Mac with Aqua UI, everyone in the audience with an iPhone would've had their third wall blown!

drawkcab
December 20th, 2010, 07:37 AM

True. Go to the 3D version while it's showing...you won't be disappointed with the visuals. Just try to ignore the overall plot if you can.

ve4cib
December 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM

I wouldn't go that far. The plot was simple, and the premise is no more far-fetched than the original Tron. It's a pretty linear movie, but let's face it: you don't watch Tron for its Shakespearean acting nor its Kubrick-like depth of story. You watch it because it looks pretty. At at that, Tron: Legacy succeeds in spades.

It's on-par with the original in terms of story, acting, writing, etc... I'd argue. It's not going to win any major screenwriting or acting awards, but its passable. Certainly better than a great many other films I've seen.

Visually-speaking I'd say it compares very favourably to effects-heavy movies we've seen recently. It's obvious the set-designers were fans of the original and wanted to present a more polished, updated version of the grid. The only sketchy effects in my mind were the young Flynn; they animated over Jeff Bridge's face to make him look younger. It didn't work so well. It was okay, but certainly nowhere near as good as Avatar or Lord of the Rings in terms of digital faces.

Also, the Daft Punk cameo in the nightclub was pretty awesome.

Speaking of Daft Punk, the best part of the whole film for me was the soundtrack. Getting Daft Punk to write the entire score -- and giving them a 100-piece orchestra to perform it -- just works.

zer010
December 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Unfortunately, I have seen neither. :(
An old friend of mine did see it in 3D and while he said the plot was predictable, it was a good movie overall. The real kicker was that the theater had an original Tron arcade machine in the lobby.
He said he looked on in amusement as a kid walked up to it with dollar bill in hand and tried in vain to find where to put that dollar. :lolflag:

manfromthezoo
December 20th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Same here - I'm not going to be Mr Spolier-pants.

But yes, I thought I saw that too - glad I'm not the only one :D

forrestcupp
December 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I was a huge fan of the original. I'm probably going to catch a matinee this week.

off subject....anyone had a chance to see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader?If you're not into the books, it's a great movie. But I've always been into the books, and this movie completely trashes the book. They create a whole central plot of good vs. evil that's not even in the book at all. I think in this movie, they get more things from the book wrong than any other Narnia movie yet. If I wouldn't have been with my whole extended family, I may have been tempted to walk out. But like I say, if you don't care about the book, it's a pretty good movie.

Which is pretty much how the book were as well. Lets fce it, the whole series is a christian analogy.......It is what it is. Anyone who doesn't like that doesn't have to go see the movies or read the books.

I'mGeorge
December 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I didn't even knew it's out yet in cinemas. I hope it's better than the usual filled with cgi generated special effects hollywoodian movies. When the first Tron came out I wasn't even born yet, but I've liked it seeing it on TV as a kid.

amount
December 20th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Just got back from the movie and went straight to this forum! I was wondering if anyone else noticed the suspiciously-Ubuntu-esque logo on Zuse's forehead. (I didn't catch the "Ubuntu" earlier on in the movie, myself.)

I'm gonna have to give this some more thought though, given what happens with that character in the movie. I'd discuss my thoughts so far, but don't want to spoil the plot for anyone!

EDIT:

You can sort of see what I'm talking about from the picture in this post:

http://vigilantcitizen.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=160202#p160202

(Note, however, that the poster is incorrect when they say that the image is "same identical symbolism" as on Dr. Manhattan's forehead in Watchmen. Zuse's symbol is much closer to the Ubuntu logo.)

serverfarm
December 21st, 2010, 04:05 AM
I also noticed the Ubuntu flash by on the screen, it will be interesting to be able to watch it later and look for it...

manfromthezoo
December 21st, 2010, 10:46 AM

Perhaps in the same way MS were rumoured once to be running Unix in Hotmail data centres? ;)

forrestcupp
December 21st, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'm going to see this tomorrow. Can't wait.

ve4cib
December 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM
Why would one of the main employees be using Ubuntu and not version 11 or 12 of their own software? Maybe I looked too far into it :P

Probably because the effects designers decided that Encom OS12 should look like that. In the Tron universe Ubuntu probably doesn't exist (just like how in our universe Encom OS12 doesn't exist). The fact that the two happen to look the same is simply the result of the effects designers not having the time/budget/inclination to rebrand every little thing that ever appears on-screen.

It's just a movie. Don't think about it too much.

earthpigg
December 21st, 2010, 10:13 PM
i enjoyed it, but feel it should have been 30 minutes or so longer. many subplots where touched on but not really explored.

i dugg the unix terminals.

darkwalt
December 23rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
speaking of unix terminals, does anybody want to help me recreate the look from this terminal http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Selection_0011.png
that was in the movie. I think that I got the color down, but now I need to find the font. Ideally, I would like to come up with a theme that has this look and feel for a server or a tablet, but time is money.

Grenage
December 23rd, 2010, 10:04 AM
I thought that the music was great, and the effects were very good; the balance of 2d/3d was spot on.

The story was awful, so overall I view it as a treat for the senses - rather like avatar.

forrestcupp
December 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
I thought that the music was great, and the effects were very good; the balance of 2d/3d was spot on.

The story was awful, so overall I view it as a treat for the senses - rather like avatar.

If you were into the original and understood it, the story of this one was great.

At first I was upset that I paid for 3D and it went a long time in 2D. Then I realized that they were going to pull a "Wizard of Oz" and when he got into the grid, everything turned 3D. Pretty awesome. I thought the young Flynn facial mapping was pretty cool, but they still don't have it to the point that you can't tell it's not real. (like my triple negative?) I really loved this movie and thought it was the best movie I've seen in a long time. I'll probably own this one some day.

I don't think any of the symbols really looked like Ubuntu's symbol. I just think there are a bunch of people here so into Ubuntu that they would think the Olympics stole their symbol from Ubuntu. It was interesting that Flynn wanted to release the OS as open source, but Dillinger's son made it commercial.

Spice Weasel
December 23rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
speaking of unix terminals, does anybody want to help me recreate the look from this terminal http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Selection_0011.png
that was in the movie. I think that I got the color down, but now I need to find the font. Ideally, I would like to come up with a theme that has this look and feel for a server or a tablet, but time is money.

Try this for the font - http://www.dafont.com/nouveau-ibm.font

Grenage
December 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
If you were into the original and understood it, the story of this one was great.

I loved the first film, but being one when it was released, I saw it a few years later; this movie's plot just seemed to be a real 'cookie-cutter' job. Still, film opinions are always subjective!

forrestcupp
December 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
I loved the first film, but being one when it was released, I saw it a few years later; this movie's plot just seemed to be a real 'cookie-cutter' job. Still, film opinions are always subjective!

True, they are subjective. I think it's getting harder and harder to make a movie that's not 'cookie-cutter' because everything's been done. I personally liked this storyline even better than the first one, but that's subjective, too. It was a nice change of pace since there really haven't been any blockbuster movies of this type for a long time.

earthpigg
December 23rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
I think it's getting harder and harder to make a movie that's not 'cookie-cutter' because everything's been done.

During the previews prior to the film, we saw a preview for "Cowboys and Aliens". The main character seems to be a man with amnesia that has a laser gun thing capable of combating the aliens.

I'mGeorge
December 23rd, 2010, 07:13 PM

I believe it was better than avatar. The story wasn't something unpredictable or an abundance of originality but still it wasn't as lame as avatar's. TRON legacy it's one of those movies that's not that great but still it's not that silly or stupid so it won't worth your time, and I'm glad I went to see it at the cinema, it wasn't a disappointment like avatar was, at least for me wasn't though I saw better sci-fi movies.

I heard rumors about a movie called Dune 2010. I'm really looking forward for it.

Johnny420
December 23rd, 2010, 09:03 PM
I love the original and haven't had the opportunity to see the new Tron movie but I saw this theme and was trying to install it and cant get it to run on my Ubuntu 10.04 anyone that can get this running please tell me how its done because I would love to have it

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Legacy?content=136291

the author sent me some tips but they didn't work for me

Johnny420
December 23rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I ran across this and am having a hard time getting it to install but I think you would like it

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Legacy?content=136291

forrestcupp
December 23rd, 2010, 11:18 PM
During the previews prior to the film, we saw a preview for "Cowboys and Aliens". The main character seems to be a man with amnesia that has a laser gun thing capable of combating the aliens.

His name is Buck Clint-Bourne Eastwood-Rogers. ;)

Giant Speck
December 24th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I'm really not sure how I felt about that preview.

dfox8895
December 24th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I saw it on the boardroom terminal. Awesome!!!!

dfox8895
December 24th, 2010, 03:56 PM

I saw it on the boardroom terminal, awesome!!!! I am at a loss as to what that scene was setting up. It seemed important but incomplete.

Kdar
December 24th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I saw the original movie yesterday and will go to see the Legacy on weekends.

lisati
December 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM
When I first heard of the new movie, my initial reaction was that they'd done some work on the original and re-released it. Y'know, the way we talk about "legacy grub" to refer to previous incarnations of the grub bootloader.

I haven't seen the new version yet, and it has been a while since I've seen the original. Although it's a good little adventure yarn, I didn't think much of some of the technobabble of the original when I first saw it.

forrestcupp
December 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM
When I first heard of the new movie, my initial reaction was that they'd done some work on the original and re-released it. Y'know, the way we talk about "legacy grub" to refer to previous incarnations of the grub bootloader.

I think it's supposed to be like Flynn's son is his legacy.

dhunt84971
December 24th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I just saw it. Visually amazing and after I saw the word "Ubuntu" on the screen I just had to see if someone else saw it, too. That's how I found this thread. Nice to know I wasn't the only one.

I would say the movie was on par with the original as far as plot and acting. The special effects were simply amazing. And what about Daft Punk..... I love it.

darkwalt
December 25th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Try this for the font - http://www.dafont.com/nouveau-ibm.font

Yep, that was pretty spot on. Thanks spice weasel. Wish that I had the time to make an entire theme though.

salemboot
December 25th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Cowboys and Aliens reminded me of the Vault Dweller and his Pipboy.

Merry Xmas Ubuntu crew.

iwhar
March 6th, 2011, 03:55 PM
there is not just ubuntu sign, there is the white and black of mac, the silver apple in the father's home in the virtual world and the media player blue triangle on the back of seats at the end...

unbuntunewb
March 13th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Zeus had an ubuntu logo on his forehead, also did anyone catch the newzbin reference?

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/nigtony/newzbin.jpg

Coasterghost
April 6th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Sorry to bring back an old thread but since i got my copy of Tron Legacy on Blu-Ray today. I saw it briefly, researched into it and found this thread. Here are snapshots I took from the Blu-Ray Release. Enjoy the Terminal and Zeus's Head.

handy
April 6th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I watched the double feature the other day.

I prefer the original TRON. It isn't as flashy of course, but it feels like a more integrated circuit. :)

TRON 2, was good, it too has a lot to say against the ownership of intellectual property.

I think the writer(s) were into open-source somehow as that kind of theme runs strongly through both movies.

salemboot
April 8th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Sorry to bring back an old thread but since i got my copy of Tron Legacy on Blu-Ray today. I saw it briefly, researched into it and found this thread. Here are snapshots I took from the Blu-Ray Release. Enjoy the Terminal and Zeus's Head.

Looks like Ubuntu 8.04 (2.6.24) :guitar:

That Dillianger kid is up to no good trying to sale Canonical's distribution for profit.

salemboot
April 8th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I watched the double feature the other day.

I prefer the original TRON. It isn't as flashy of course, but it feels like a more integrated circuit. :)

TRON 2, was good, it too has a lot to say against the ownership of intellectual property.

I think the writer(s) were into open-source somehow as that kind of theme runs strongly through both movies.

Antitrust pretty much did the same.

"It's just a matter of time before someone borrows your technology, improves it and makes a billion dollars on it."

* how true

blur xc
April 28th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I was just a kid last time I saw the original movie, so I found it on On-Demand and rented it to watch with my kids. Holy crap was it boring! I mean, I still liked it, but compared to modern movies certain parts were like waiting for grass to grow, kind of like watching the original Alien movie. I recall on at least a couple of occasions watching and thinking to myself, "Is this part supposed to be suspenseful?"... So anyway, we put in the new tron movie last night, and I liked it. I was surprised at the open-source underlying message...

BM