PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [Errno5] install error help!!

mike1357
December 18th, 2010, 03:32 AM
So I've tried to install about 30 times, and I've burned more cd's than that because I use gparted live cd to format between installs (and delete previous partitions...linux sometimes successfully installs the swap partition and I cant get a clean slate without only gparted on a live cd). For some reason my cd's burn up and don't work after the second attempt.

It's not my hardware, I've tried 3 different optical drives set on master and slave different times, I've used two different hard drives to try this out. It's not my cd's, it runs live cd's well and begins the install nicely. I've tried to install many times also from USB, same deal....

I've partitioned every way imaginably, but usually stick with /, /home, and a swap partition. I usually use ext3 but I've tried ext4 with no luck.

Every time I get 1/4 to 1/2 way through any install, manual, use full drive, automatic, whatever, it gives me the [Errno5] error and stops. I really want to install linux but this is frustrating me. I've tried ubuntu, mint, and pc....this is 4 days now I can't install AAAAHHHH

What gives??

I'm using windows xp with all the newest cd versions of these linux OS's. It's no good. I want to download it on my dell dimension 8400 so I can get the hang of it. The reason is I'm building a new very nice pc and I have an old laptop thats starting to get slow. I want to load Linux on those but I'm not about to if I can't get it to work on my beater pc

Quackers
December 18th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Have you checked the MD5SUM of the downloaded iso?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Have you checked the cd for errors?
While booting press the Esc key and choose "check cd for errors"

mike1357
December 19th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Have you checked the MD5SUM of the downloaded iso?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Have you checked the cd for errors?
While booting press the Esc key and choose "check cd for errors"

I've checked the cd for errors multiple times, also with burning from different recorders. I'll take a look at the MD5SUM

sikander3786
December 19th, 2010, 03:02 PM
If the image and disc are in good health, I would be interested to run a test on your HDD for bad sectors.

Or might be try changing HDD/CD-ROM Drive data cables.