PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot install ubuntu 10.04

then_dude
December 17th, 2010, 10:49 PM
hello everybody

i'm trying to install 10.04 on a desktop

motherboard: ecs k7s5a (chipset sis 735)

but somehow the livecd doesn't run all the way. It starts to run but after a while it starts to hang, i have waited for 1 hour. nothing happens anymore, so i never see the login screen.

(the cd is perfect : other pc's run fine on it).

i have looked around but not found anything, (i thought that maybe the sis 735 was not supported or so, but nothing looks like that)

thanks guys

Quackers
December 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM
What do you mean by strats to hang?
On which screen? Does it get to a screen or just go black? Some details please.

garvinrick4
December 17th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Is about a 10 year old motherboard and chipset, good place to start looking into.

mr clark25
December 18th, 2010, 12:16 AM
the disk could have a minor scratch on it. some cd drives are pickier than others.

did you try "check disk for defects"? (on the computer having issues)

then_dude
December 18th, 2010, 12:47 AM
hello everybody,

believe it or not, i'm replying from a linux system.

i found a Kubuntu cd, (i tried kubuntu and ubuntu) no of them was working. i forgot what the last message was before hanging and tried to reinstall it. and all of a sudden it is working; very strange. but hé, i'm happy;

i have a small problem in de kde, but don't know what causes it.

my screen shows very little contrast, i can hardly see the different tabs in konquerer. (for example). my videocard is a ati 7000 and my screen is a acer al922 tft, i'm using the d-sub vga interface on the tft panel.

thanks guys

yes it is an old motherboard, something like 7-8 year.
i had heard that some kernels did not support intel chipsets that why i opened this topic