PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to remove only gnome panel (using cairo)

slixz85
December 17th, 2010, 09:16 PM
hi i just started using cairo and its alright for the time being gonna keep using it. i switch stuff like this off and on. but i am just trying to remove the gnome panel. everything added on is removed from it but it is still there. it is definitely taking away from the cairo look i am tryin to do. anyone know how to remove this let me know the delete this panel button is grayed out.

thanks to any post

hhh
December 17th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Open the Run dialog (Alt+F2), run gconf-editor, navigate to desktop >> gnome >> session >> required_components, double click "panel" make the field blank (remove "gnome-panel"), log out and back in.

Kognit
December 17th, 2010, 09:57 PM
When you remove gnome panel i advise you to install "grun" or something similar, because if you remove gnome-panel the "Run Application" dialog won't work. After that go to keyboard shortcuts and define ALT+2 for grun.

slixz85
December 17th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Open the Run dialog (Alt+F2), run gconf-editor, navigate to desktop >> gnome >> session >> required_components, double click "panel" make the field blank (remove "gnome-panel"), log out and back in.

in case of complications is it easy to put gnome back on by putting gnome-panel back into the text if i have to or will this remove it alltogether and gotta reinstall it or kde or something?

still learning....;)

slixz85
December 17th, 2010, 10:04 PM
oh and by doing this besides the run dialog is there anything else that could ruin me lol and thanks btw for quick response

Kognit
December 17th, 2010, 11:26 PM
There should not be any complications but you never know:)

Yes, if anything happens just write gnome-panel in gconf-editor where you erase it before.

Beside that nothing important as i know should be mentioned.

Enjoy

hhh
December 18th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Kognit's right, just re-enter "gnome-panel" and log back out and in.

Good catch on the Run dialog by him too, I had forgotten about that (I use Xfce these days).