PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Running .sh File - Ultra Noob question

kyral210
December 17th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Afternoon all

I am relly sorry this is such a basic question, but I am ultra new to Linux and have been using Windows all my life.

I need to execute and run a .sh file for work, and I have NO IDEA how to do it. All I have been told is:

./convert_blom_to_telefot.sh <test_dir>

What does that mean? I am guessing it is in the Ubuntu termninal, but I have no idea what to do with it.

Please please help me as I am completely lost and over my head in this one.

Chris

cchhrriiss121212
December 17th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Place the .sh file in you home folder, then open up a terminal from the accessories menu.
First make sure you have permission to run the file:

sudo chmod 755 yourfilename
The terminal has an auto complete function with the tab button, so just type the first letter of your file and press tab to save time.
Then this:

./yourfilename
Again you should be able to use tab to autocomplete.

kyral210
December 17th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Sorry to be ULTRA stupid here, but what is the Home folder?

cchhrriiss121212
December 17th, 2010, 06:04 PM
The home folder is where all your personal documents and settings are stored it has folders like documents, music, video etc.. To access it go to: Places>Home folder.

kyral210
December 23rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
Ok, I did that, but im still stuck

I got

[sudo] password for lds:
and when I tried putting my admin password in, nothing happened, no writing in the terminal or anything

So I press enter and I get this:

lds@lds-TECRA-M10:~$

So what so I do now? What am I meant to see or what is meant to happen? I am very very lost here...

kyral210
July 23rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the help here guys. I have since started using Ubuntu a lot and even built a server!