PDA

View Full Version : does microsoft office powerpoint 07 work on linux latest?

joelkat
December 17th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I got ubuntu wondetr if powerpoint works?

_outlawed_
December 17th, 2010, 01:56 PM
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=12813

Endomancer
December 17th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I use OpenOffice.org 3.2 at home and MS Office 2007 at tafe, and I been running presentations created in MS Power Point on OO.o Present and so far the only problem I've had was a slight discolouration of a MS power point background template.
Although to be fair, I haven't tried running a presentation created with OO.o Present in MS Power Point yet, so I don't know how that goes

forrestcupp
December 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I use OpenOffice.org 3.2 at home and MS Office 2007 at tafe, and I been running presentations created in MS Power Point on OO.o Present and so far the only problem I've had was a slight discolouration of a MS power point background template.
Although to be fair, I haven't tried running a presentation created with OO.o Present in MS Power Point yet, so I don't know how that goes
I tried running an important Powerpoint 2007 presentation on the latest OpenOffice.org, and it failed miserably. Almost everything was out of place, and I would have had to do a lot of editing to get it to work right. For that reason, I ended up buying another copy of Office 2007 because I use it enough that I can't afford those kind of headaches.

kaldor
December 17th, 2010, 02:11 PM

Remember that Ubuntu is not Windows. It cannot run software that is not built for it. There are some things such as WINE that can help, but it will not be flawless.

However, MS Office 2007 has a good track record for running in WINE. I had issues using the regular WINE, but it ran 100% flawlessly and nicely on Crossover. It costs money, but there's a trial.

joelkat
December 17th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Well im in school and accidently did both partitions now i have ubuntu 100% n we are starting to use powerpoint alot.

Dragonbite
December 17th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I tried running an important Powerpoint 2007 presentation on the latest OpenOffice.org, and it failed miserably. Almost everything was out of place, and I would have had to do a lot of editing to get it to work right. For that reason, I ended up buying another copy of Office 2007 because I use it enough that I can't afford those kind of headaches.

Did you try putting it through Sky Drive, or is it Office.Live.com, (don't know how old this was)? It's like Google Docs but with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneNote).

The applications themselves are very limited, but I would think the compatibility should be better.

I get a PowerPoint every month for computer meetings and the images just don't look right (background, logo, etc.). It looks fine locally and with the Sky Drive but not in OpenOffice or Google Docs.

Office is supposed to work pretty well under WINE.

HermanAB
December 17th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Yes, it does work.

I use Office 2007 every day on Linux, with Crossover:
http://www.codeweavers.com

samalex
December 17th, 2010, 04:23 PM

I have Office 2007 Student edition loaded on my Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit) laptop using the stock version of Wine from the repos, and it works great. I haven't done much with Power Point other than opening it, but Word and Excel work 100% so I assume PP does too.

madjr
December 17th, 2010, 04:49 PM
here are a few alternatives:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/11/ease-clutter-presentation-app-linux-ubuntu/

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/?s=powerpoint

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/06/microsoft-office-web-apps-now-available-in-the-uk/

alaukikyo
December 17th, 2010, 05:19 PM
i would say use Openoffice.org and carry its portable version in a usb or cd.

madjr
December 17th, 2010, 05:47 PM
or just use office online

BigCityCat
December 17th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I use it in virtual box and it works great.

blueturtl
December 17th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Or buy SoftMaker Office 2010 for a fraction of the price of MSO, and use that instead of OpenOffice! Native Linux app! Microsoft compatible woohoo!

</advert>

user1397
December 17th, 2010, 10:43 PM
powerpoint 07 works perfectly under the stock wine in maverick

angryfirelord
December 17th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Well im in school and accidently did both partitions now i have ubuntu 100% n we are starting to use powerpoint alot.
Well, you have a couple of options to take:

-Try running Office in wine.
-Use OpenOffice and hope that nothing gets screwed up in the conversion process.
-Look towards other office products (such as Google Docs)
-Put Windows in a Virtual Machine and run Office from there.

In my opinion, PowerPoints aren't something you want to leave up to chance. A word document is one thing. Any minor goof-ups can usually be corrected when converting from OO to Word and back. But with PowerPoint, you don't want any technical glitches or incompatibilities. When you present something, you want it to look professional. Therefore, I would highly advise to you that you put Windows back on and dual-boot it with Ubuntu or put it on a virtual machine.

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2010, 12:03 AM
In my opinion, PowerPoints aren't something you want to leave up to chance. A word document is one thing. Any minor goof-ups can usually be corrected when converting from OO to Word and back. But with PowerPoint, you don't want any technical glitches or incompatibilities. When you present something, you want it to look professional. Therefore, I would highly advise to you that you put Windows back on and dual-boot it with Ubuntu or put it on a virtual machine.

I agree with what you're saying about not leaving it up to chance, but a lot of people have been successful with getting MS Office 2007 working in Wine. If that's the case, there shouldn't be a need to dual boot just for that.

But it may be important to note that Access will not work in Linux at all. You'd have to dual boot or use a VM to use Access. But this thread is about Powerpoint, and it does work.

Dragonbite
December 18th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Well, you have a couple of options to take:

-Try running Office in wine.
-Use OpenOffice and hope that nothing gets screwed up in the conversion process.
-Look towards other office products (such as Google Docs)
-Put Windows in a Virtual Machine and run Office from there
-- or --
E. All of the Above.

cta16
December 18th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Works fine for me in 10.04. I'm using Wine + PlayOnLinux which makes installation extremely easy.

phrostbyte
December 18th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I switched from MS Office to OpenOffice.org awhile back for making fairly high profile presentations at conferences, and I have yet to have a single person complain about the quality of my slides. In fact, I usually get tons of compliments. Usually about the talk, which is the important part anyway. :)

The Real Dave
December 18th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I've had some success with 07 in Wine (http://linuxexpresso.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/office-2007/).

madjr
December 18th, 2010, 02:35 AM
seriously msft makes an office online that is working on linux and no one is even noticing it....

maybe they should remove the compatibility / ability to access it from linux, then you will begin to notice it.

smellyman
December 18th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I have given up on MS office. They can't make it compatible between 03, 07 and 10. Or make it work well with MS office for Mac's either. Linux? No way.

Yet it is all other programs fault. Not MS office......

Jesus_Valdez
December 18th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I have Ubuntu 10.04 and Office 07 works flawlessly with wine.

I had to do some changes, but there's a lot of tutorials.

Another alternative is to use Virtualbox.

Dragonbite
December 18th, 2010, 06:51 PM
seriously msft makes an office online that is working on linux and no one is even noticing it....

maybe they should remove the compatibility / ability to access it from linux, then you will begin to notice it.

I mentioned it a while back too. I find it limited, though, and I don't really do a lot with my account.

Unfortunately work turns off the Sky Drive link between Office 2010 and the sky drive, otherwise I might use it more.

forrestcupp
December 18th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I switched from MS Office to OpenOffice.org awhile back for making fairly high profile presentations at conferences, and I have yet to have a single person complain about the quality of my slides. In fact, I usually get tons of compliments. Usually about the talk, which is the important part anyway. :)

I don't think anybody is complaining about the quality of presentations created in OOo. OOo is great, if you're lucky enough to use it on all computers. The problem is when you create a presentation on one, but have to present it on the other. A lot of people aren't lucky enough to be able to have OpenOffice.org on their work or school computers, too.

My particular problem is that I have other visiting speakers come who create presentations in the de facto Powerpoint, and when they use it on my computer/projector setup, it just doesn't work well in OOo. If everyone in the world used OpenOffice.org, it would be a perfect choice.

Canis familiaris
December 19th, 2010, 07:48 AM
btw How does well MS Office 2010 supports ODF? Creating presentations in OpenOffice.org with ODF and viewing it in MSO2010 is viable no?

alaukikyo
December 19th, 2010, 09:04 AM
btw How does well MS Office 2010 supports ODF? Creating presentations in OpenOffice.org with ODF and viewing it in MSO2010 is viable no?

it supports almost 100%

madjr
December 20th, 2010, 09:35 AM
it supports almost 100%

i hope so.

Random_Dude
December 20th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Installing MS Office 2007 in Ubuntu was not very successful for me.

Excel - worked fine
Word - fine, but when I tried to insert an equation, it crashed.
Powerpoint - Terrible, it didn't even open. Crashed immediately.

This was back in the time of Karmic Koala, I don't know how wine is now.

Cheers :cool:

beew
December 20th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I don't think anybody is complaining about the quality of presentations created in OOo. OOo is great, if you're lucky enough to use it on all computers. The problem is when you create a presentation on one, but have to present it on the other. A lot of people aren't lucky enough to be able to have OpenOffice.org on their work or school computers, too.

My particular problem is that I have other visiting speakers come who create presentations in the de facto Powerpoint, and when they use it on my computer/projector setup, it just doesn't work well in OOo. If everyone in the world used OpenOffice.org, it would be a perfect choice.

So it would only make things worse by further entrenching MS by even running in Linux while we do have other options. I could run MSO in Wine, tried it and it worked, but I refuse to. Now I am sending out my documents in open formats and MS format.

As for presentations I gather compatibility issues are only serious if there are lots of embedded pictures and so on. I have been getting ppt presentations from other people on academic conferences, never have any issue with them in OOO or LibreOffice. But then those are rather plain with at most a few bar graphs or maps, nothing fancy. But those are the norm for many academic presentations anyway (In the pure sciences and mathematics we wouldn't even use ppt, we prefer the old old chalk and blackboard method so that you can work through a problem when you present)