PDA

View Full Version : Hard liquor: cold or room temperature?

NMFTM
December 17th, 2010, 03:25 AM
My whole life growing up (I live in America), my parents always kept their liquor at room temperature in a kitchen cabinet. At bars too they keep it sitting out in plain view.

But when I came to college all of my friends keep their hard liquors in the refrigerator to store for long term and the freezer if they're going to be drinking it within the next few hours.

When I told my parents this they just looked at me weird and said that nobody drinks liquors cold. But it seems to make more sense. If you're drinking a Jack and Coke for example, why would you want your whiskey to warm up the pop? Or even if you're just going to drink it straight. Since almost every other beverage except coffee is drank cold, wouldn't you also do the same with your liquor? It also cuts down on the burn.

I'm adding a poll to see what's the norm.

red_Marvin
December 17th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I do not like my jägermeister anything but cold, but it is different from liquor to liquor.

unknownPoster
December 17th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I do not like my jägermeister anything but cold, but it is different from liquor to liquor.

This. It really depends upon the alcohol. Some taste better cold, while others taste better warm.

And if you're going to drink Jack, you need to drink it like a man. You'll need a Lime, some salt, and a cold glass of straight Jack. You snort the salt, shoot the Jack, and squirt the lime in your eyes. :P

giddyup306
December 17th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Neither.

uRock
December 17th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I put it in the freezer the night before. We keep one each in the freezer at all times of Tequila, Scotch and Brandy. I used to drink Crown Royal and Dr. Pepper, but they went and changed the formula for D.P., so I moved on to bigger and better liquors. We had a liquor rack built into the wall in our den, so there is quite the assortment and lots of ice in the fridge for those unscheduled temptations.

unknownPoster
December 17th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I put it in the freezer the night before. We keep one each in the freezer at all times of Tequila, Scotch and Brandy. I used to drink Crown Royal and Dr. Pepper, but they went and changed the formula for D.P., so I moved on to bigger and better liquors. We had a liquor rack built into the wall in our den, so there is quite the assortment and lots of ice in the fridge for those unscheduled temptations.

What can be better than Crown Royal? :P

Personally, I think Crown Royal Black is the top of the line of whiskeys for me, but I can't see myself spending exuberant amounts of money on alcohol. (750 mL of Crown Royal is about 25 USD around here)

JOHNNYG713
December 17th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Ether way is just fine with me ! Party ON!:guitar:

NovaAesa
December 17th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Typically when I drink liquor straight, vodka and Jagermeister generally come from the freezer, but when it comes to scotch and gin I prefer them at room temperature. When they are mixed in a drink, I'm not particularly fussy.

highspider
December 17th, 2010, 04:38 AM
warm so i can keep the bottle hidden from the parents...
yes Im of age; just broke college student that is living in hard economical times.

wilee-nilee
December 17th, 2010, 04:41 AM
This. It really depends upon the alcohol. Some taste better cold, while others taste better warm.

And if you're going to drink Jack, you need to drink it like a man. You'll need a Lime, some salt, and a cold glass of straight Jack. You snort the salt, shoot the Jack, and squirt the lime in your eyes. :P

lol.;)

mamamia88
December 17th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Neither I prefer beer.

oldsoundguy
December 17th, 2010, 04:43 AM
30 years back before I went clean and sober .. single malt on the rocks.

tgalati4
December 17th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Vodkas are usually served cold to dull the pallete so that any impurities are not noticed as much. This is more of an issue with rot-gut, cheap vodka--something college students would buy. It's probably helpful for other cheap, hard liquors as well.

uRock
December 17th, 2010, 05:00 AM
What can be better than Crown Royal? :P

Personally, I think Crown Royal Black is the top of the line of whiskeys for me, but I can't see myself spending exuberant amounts of money on alcohol. (750 mL of Crown Royal is about 25 USD around here)
I loved Crown Royal Special Reserve, but as you mention, that stuff is expensive. My best. This is one that I have been turned on to and I must say it was the best whiskey I have ever had. http://www.themacallan.com/shop/?l=en

Neither I prefer beer.
For me, liquor is for days of solitude, R&R, and not being bothered with the world. I don't get many of those days. Beer days are good days. I like Guinness and wheat beers. (http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/TopBeersByStyle.asp?StyleID=7)

I don't drink much, so when I do drink, I go for the best flavor I can get.

sgosnell
December 17th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Vodka is traditionally drunk cold, but whiskey (and whisky) are usually warm. The brandy snifter was designed to let your hands warm it up, so you get more aroma and taste. If it's cheap rotgut, you may want to keep it cold so you can't taste it as well, but if it's decent whiskey, you should want to taste it. I would never mix decent whiskey with anything other than water, and seldom that. I just don't touch cheap stuff because all the fusel oil in it gives you a headache. The sugar in soda pop does the same. Just the thought of mixing whiskey and Dr Pepper gives me the willies. I couldn't do it. DP is bad enough by itself, but as a mixer? Gag me with a spoon!!! :shock:

unknownPoster
December 17th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I loved Crown Royal Special Reserve, but as you mention, that stuff is expensive. My best. This is one that I have been turned on to and I must say it was the best whiskey I have ever had. http://www.themacallan.com/shop/?l=en

I'll have to look into it. Hopefully I can find it here in the States, as it is English, as such it may be more expensive here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've found I'm not a big fan of bourbons, but the single malts and blended whiskeys are quite good.

zer010
December 17th, 2010, 10:17 AM
When I was a big liquor drinker, I usually went with a decent scotch...room temperature, sometimes over ice and always with water to sip with it. I find putting anything less than straight ethanol in the fridge or a freezer will thicken the liquor and dull the taste. I've never really been one to make mixed drinks especially if the liquor is good.

bouncingwilf
December 17th, 2010, 10:32 AM
The only way to enjoy a Gin & tonic or martini is cold (ex freezer) but Dark spirits ( Whisky, Cognac etc) is warmer ( sniffing the vapours).

Other so called spirits such as tequila & Bacardi, pour straight into the toilet to save having to taste them.

Bouncingwilf

Bouncingwilf

HappinessNow
December 17th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Vodka Straight up chilled with no ice!

I high end Vodka like Hanger One is preferable.

KingYaba
December 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Stored at room temperature but served on ice.

3Miro
December 17th, 2010, 12:38 PM
If I use a chaser, the temperature of alcohol doesn't matter. If I drink it straight (like I usually do), then I prefer death cold.

I have seen people do it either way, find which one you like better and go for it.

_outlawed_
December 17th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I keep all my hard liquor in the deep freezer. The bottom of the bottles form crystals which is pretty cool and nice. :P

CharlesA
December 17th, 2010, 03:56 PM
The only thing I keep in the fridge are mixes, the booze sits in a cabinet.

Then again, if I am making a mixed drink, there's usually ice involved...

julio_cortez
December 17th, 2010, 04:38 PM
but it is different from liquor to liquor.This. I like my Montenegro to be served at room temperature without ice, but for example I usually drink DiSaronno (amaretto) on the rocks (so with ice).

BTW, try drinking vodka at room temperature, it's something atrocious.

dmizer
December 17th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Just a friendly reminder to keep things on topic. This thread isn't about the merits or demerits of alcohol.

Joeb454
December 17th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Personally, I don't mind my whisky at room temp or cold.

I have to say, having had a bottle that was kept around freezing temps before, it seemed more like a syrup when it was poured...very odd, but really rather nice.

I guess it depends what mood I'm in :)

TNT1
December 17th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Vodka lives in the freezer...I grew up with some Russians and a dodgy Pole...

Everything else is in the cabinet, and gets rocks if you desire

gt3pilot
December 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
It really just depends on my mood and the liquor...a good whiskey, scotch or tequila in a short glass at room temp is perfect on a chilly day - an ice cold vodka rocks brings on the chilly belly on a hot summer night as well. I would guess (need to write a Driod app to keep track...) that I drink more liquor at room temp though (by volume).

Cheers!

Kirk

Gremlinzzz
December 17th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Just a friendly reminder to keep things on topic. This thread isn't about the merits or demerits of alcohol.

Just a friendly notice this tread is glorifying the use of the drug alcohol and there's kids on this tread. maybe this tread should not be a thread.

Joeb454
December 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Just a friendly notice this tread is glorifying the use of the drug alcohol and there's kids on this tread. maybe this tread should not be a thread.

I wouldn't say the thread glorifies it at all. It's just a discussion on personal preferences.

If there are any posts in particular you feel should be looked at by the staff, please use the report function.

danbuter
December 17th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I like Myer's Rum, Buttershots, or Baileys, all cold.

Red_Steve
December 17th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I prefer my scotch at slight below room temperature.

uRock
December 17th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Please seek the advice of your family physician and adhere to local laws before/when consuming alcoholic beverages, as they may or may not have adverse effects to your health.

As for drinking sake, it must be heated to the proper temperature for best flavor.

SlackerD
December 17th, 2010, 10:31 PM

Not really, because they're not writing text in a tire. It's called a THREAD. :rolleyes:

msandoy
December 17th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Whiskey, cognac and rum served room temp. Vodka and aquavit served from the freezer.

unknownPoster
December 17th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Whiskey, cognac and rum served room temp. Vodka and aquavit served from the freezer.

I think the general consensus seems to be that darker/brown liquors are served at room temp and that clear liquors are served as cold as possible.

tgalati4
December 18th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Can we mark this thread as SOLVED now?

DZ*
December 18th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Vodka lives in the freezer...I grew up with some Russians and a dodgy Pole

Traditionally, vodka in Russia was usually served at room temperature, especially in its role as an appetizer before the main courses of a meal.

The Real Dave
December 18th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I generally chill it some bit before I drink something like whiskey or vodka, but only so as not to need to use ice.

If I'm cold though, I'll drink it room temp, or even warmed up, with lemon honey and sugar (whiskey that is). It's a nice winter treat.

That said, I'm really not fussy :P

tahitiwibble
December 18th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I don't drink much, so when I do drink, I go for the best flavor I can get.

If you are getting into the single malts ....... please give a bottle of Lagavulin a try, before anything happens to either of us :)

Be careful where you buy from as the price goes from expensive to just absolutely criminal. It is worth it though.

tahitiwibble
December 18th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I think the general consensus seems to be that darker/brown liquors are served at room temp and that clear liquors are served as cold as possible.

Seconded! Perhaps the OP could give that 4th option?

ve4cib
December 18th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Yeah, that seems like a fair assessment. Vodka = cold. Scotch = room temperature.

Absinthe is probably the oddball; it should be stored at room temperature, but consumed chilled since you add ice water to it before drinking. But you'd never put a bottle of absinthe in the fridge.

johntaylor1887
December 18th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Stored at room temperature but served on ice.

This.

unknownPoster
December 18th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Can we mark this thread as SOLVED now?

Why?

Matters of opinion are never solved. :P

witeshark17
December 18th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Vodka from the freezer straight up. :KS

tgalati4
December 18th, 2010, 05:05 AM
You're right, the debate rages on. Absinthe turns cloudy when cold, so you serve it at room temperature. When you add ice to it, it then turns cloudy, adding to its mystique as you get drunk and hallucinate.

So I have heard . . .

TNT1
December 18th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Traditionally, vodka in Russia was usually served at room temperature, especially in its role as an appetizer before the main courses of a meal.

Yeah, room temperature in Russia and room temperature in Africa are two different things...

Perfect Storm
December 18th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Ice-cold Akvavit /ˈɑːkwəviːt/ (snaps) and room tempatured Old Danish.
So it depends on which type hard liquor.

ve4cib
December 18th, 2010, 10:00 AM
You're right, the debate rages on. Absinthe turns cloudy when cold, so you serve it at room temperature. When you add ice to it, it then turns cloudy, adding to its mystique as you get drunk and hallucinate.

So I have heard . . .

When you add water to absinthe you bring a bunch of oils and whatnot out of solution, which makes the drink go from a transparent colourless/green/blue/red liquid to a more opaque, cloudy liquid. This is called the "louche" or "ouzo" effect.

Technically though you don't add ice to absinthe; you slowly pour ice water over a sugar cube resting on a nice, purpose-built slotted spoon.

HappinessNow
December 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM
There is nothing quite as nice as HOT Sake(actually called Nihonshu (日本酒)

bobbob94
December 18th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I'll have to look into it. Hopefully I can find it here in the States, as it is English, as such it may be more expensive here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've found I'm not a big fan of bourbons, but the single malts and blended whiskeys are quite good.

Sorry for being pedantic, but its certainly not English, being single malt scotch from Scotland and all ;) it is indeed a very nice whisky though!

Dixon Bainbridge
December 18th, 2010, 08:23 PM
As for drinking sake, it must be heated to the proper temperature for best flavor.

In the summer its drunk cold, in the winter its drunk warm. It doesn't have to be served at any specific temperature.