PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will Banshee ever get the albumartist browser view?

piedro
December 17th, 2010, 01:53 AM
As discussed and mentioned before:
Banshee's browser only shows "track artist / album" for quick access.
Since start of 2009 there was the promise, well, at least the idea to make the banshee browser configurable with different views.

STill there should be a "albumartist / album" view!

For reasons best explained here in the rhytmbox bugs:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/253167

This discussions exist for a long time.
Is there still anyone working on this?
Banshee will be the default browser and we still can't have a browser view that suits the needs of compilation owners!

Funny thing is:
In the banshee settings for files & folder organisation you can set the folder hierarchie to exactly this "albumartist/album". So it's all there! We just need to use the same scheme for having different browser views.

Here the original thread from 2009:
http://banshee-media-player.2283330.n4.nabble.com/Compilation-support-td2986734.html

The Question is, is there anyone working on this?
Where can the browser view be defined?

I think this is really essential for an allround music library organizer like banshee (same for rythmbox by the way, but rb will be dropped as default ...)

I tried to set this as bug but it got deleted.

How to get this done?

thx for reading,
piedro

p.s.: maybe we get lucky after all these years:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=540873

l300lvl
November 28th, 2011, 07:48 PM
After requesting this feature and reading over their so called solutions and work-arounds I feel it's only appropriate to say that if this is the best solution:

Chris Banes 2009-04-27 15:48:15 UTC Regarding Album Artist, yes I think it should be mutually exclusive with Artist. If an album has the compilation flag set, the "Album Artist" should be displayed, otherwise it should "fall back" to the Artist tag.
It would be wise to say there will never be a fix for this, stop me if I'm going to far. But it seems obvious that the proposed solution of going through every single album and clicking 'compilation' just isn't going to do it for those of us with 150k+ tracks, and the better solution would be to move on to something more up to date.

My point was not to rant, but yet to answer the question that has been googled for so many years now, for everyone else that will come upon this thread.

NO, the albumartist tag will never have the support you're looking for. At least not out of the box, but you can always start clicking 'compilation'....

I hereby dub myself Guayadeque fanboi for life.

piedro
November 29th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Thing is:
Even if an album is tagged as compilation, the browser will still list any artiston that album which is plain ridiculous and not well thought through ...!

If anyone could only customize the browser view to display whatever he/she wants to show up in the browser columns ... - the problem would not only be solved but also the software would make anybody more happy. Cause its up to choice then how to browse your music ...

But as you mentioned: Devs won't care and who needs banshee anyway! ...

thx for reading,
p.

ercarrion43
December 3rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Anybody knows what does it exactly do the 'folder hierarchy' option??, because when I change it I see no changes anywhere, nor in the lists of artists and albums on the left nor in the big list on the right.

In that list on the right it's possible to add the field 'Album artist' and use it for sorting the music, but in the left list there is no way to change anything, it's annoying, I have like 200 artists with just one song. I don't know if I'm missing something.

Saludos a todos! :P

kron21
December 12th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Finally implemented in Banshee 2.3.2. Install it through: ppa:banshee-team/banshee-daily.

That really made my day...:guitar:

piedro
March 19th, 2012, 07:12 PM
How is it in there? I am just trying 2.3.6 and still the browser listing all the artists and NOT the albumartist though it's all checked as compilation ...

what am I missing?