PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Problem

tyndallc
December 16th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 on my computer. I have 2 hard drives (1 main for the OS and a 2nd as a Data drive). When I run the installer, either from cd or a flash drive, when I come to selecting the hard drive for the install it is showing my main drive as sdb1 and not sda1. I have tried moving around my SATA connections for my drives, but that does not do anything. This used to happen when I tried installing Mint 10 and not ubuntu 10.10. But now it is doing the same thing as Mint was doing for me.

What can I do to find out what is using sda1 during install and if there is anything that I can do in order to have my drives show as sda1 for OS and sdb1 for Data?

Thanks.

cogier
December 17th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I presume you are booting from a CD. If so why not disconnect the drive you do not want Ubuntu on and boot up the CD to see if it recognises it.

LSEactuary
December 17th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Yes I'm booting from a CD which I burnt after downloading the programme.

I don't really get what you mean by the below tbh. I've taken the disc out but the screen ends up on the same page always. I've tried disconnecting the Internet - same problem. It's a desktop btw so I can 'pull out' the disc drive - it's all fully inbuilt.

Please can you type step by step instructions for me to follow? I want ubuntu installed on the infected computer only - and put the disc in that one only too (after burning it on a good clean laptop).

Btw what does that error message mean? It comes up everytime I start the computer....

cogier
December 17th, 2010, 12:22 AM
You said "I have tried moving around my SATA connections for my drives, but that does not do anything".

I suggested you leave the SATA connection disconnected from the drive you do NOT want to install Ubuntu on.

Then restart with the CD and see if Ubuntu sees the only hard disk that is plugged in.

You can plug the other one in later if it all works.

What do you mean by "I want ubuntu installed on the infected computer only"

kansasnoob
December 17th, 2010, 02:03 AM
You might also want to check the boot order in BIOS.