PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hard to "grab" window resize corner

fishtoprecords
December 16th, 2010, 10:57 PM
If this belongs in another section, please let me know.

Ever since I upgraded to 10.10 (32 bit) I have serious trouble resizing windows. Seems to be accross all applications, from Chrome and FireFox to Thunderbird, Vuze and even the terminal for shell access.

The problem is that the upper right corner does not seem to be active all the time. The normal way to resize a window is to hover your mouse/pointer over the upper right corner, and when it turns into an inverted L shape, grab the corner and drag it to resize the window.

With 10.10, sometimes the active portion is down a 1/8" or in a 1/4" or in and down. Its rarely at the proper point of the frame of the window.

I don't remember this problem at all on my 10.04 installation.

I don't know what could be causing this, if you need version info for X-11, or anything else, just ask.

Bobhuber
December 16th, 2010, 11:34 PM
If this belongs in another section, please let me know.

Ever since I upgraded to 10.10 (32 bit) I have serious trouble resizing windows. Seems to be accross all applications, from Chrome and FireFox to Thunderbird, Vuze and even the terminal for shell access.

The problem is that the upper right corner does not seem to be active all the time. The normal way to resize a window is to hover your mouse/pointer over the upper right corner, and when it turns into an inverted L shape, grab the corner and drag it to resize the window.

With 10.10, sometimes the active portion is down a 1/8" or in a 1/4" or in and down. Its rarely at the proper point of the frame of the window.

I don't remember this problem at all on my 10.04 installation.

I don't know what could be causing this, if you need version info for X-11, or anything else, just ask.
Go read the first sticky post and known issues.Simple fix is there.

fishtoprecords
December 17th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks.
Link to issues is
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes#Known%20Issues

gordintoronto
December 17th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I always use the lower-right corner to resize, and it's often a PITA.

jacanterbury
January 21st, 2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks.
Link to issues is
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes#Known%20Issues

Thanks - fixed the problem for me too :)

SYSTEM::REFERENCES::APPEARANCE
then selected CLEARLOOKS theme (instead of default - Ambiance)

resizing now ok.

gordintoronto
January 22nd, 2011, 01:21 AM
Thanks!

albertmatyi
February 26th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Or you can try [Alt]+[Middle-button click] (scroll-wheel click) to resize a window from any part of it

(similar to [Alt]+[Left-click] - move window)

sistoviejo
March 10th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Or you can try [Alt]+[Middle-button click] (scroll-wheel click) to resize a window from any part of it

Nice tip... Where can I find more key combinations like that one?

kentfx
May 8th, 2012, 10:35 AM

By far the easiest solution, IMHO. A little note on the bottom of yr screen might help at first (there's nothing intuitive about that key combo...)