PDA

View Full Version : Mythbuntu vs (K)ubuntu

drvik
December 16th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Hi all,

New to ubuntu and enjoying the ease of installation and setup of my mythtv system... I just wanted to confirm something.... is mythbuntu with kubuntu-desktop exactly the same as installing kubuntu with mythtv + mythtv control centre??? Or are there additional helper scripts etc etc that come with the mythbuntu install? I just want to know so that if I need to reinstall, I start with the correct base install...

Cheers,

drvik

tgm4883
December 17th, 2010, 02:37 AM
If you are starting with a Kubuntu install, just install mythbuntu-control-centre then configure from there. It will install what it needs.

williammanda
December 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hi all,

New to ubuntu and enjoying the ease of installation and setup of my mythtv system... I just wanted to confirm something.... is mythbuntu with kubuntu-desktop exactly the same as installing kubuntu with mythtv + mythtv control centre???

Yes but there are pro's and con's for each method. The Mythbuntu route will give you a slimmed down OS aimed at the HTPC vs the Kubuntu or ubuntu + mythtv will give you a full OS with HTPC functionality. Also the Mythbuntu will consume less resources. So it is up to you what preference you want.

David Grigor
December 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I don't see any advantage to install seperately if this machine is going to be dedicated to mythtv. If your planning to use as a desktop as well there may be an advantage to using another distro. I use mythbuntu for a dedicated machine to keep as simple and re-creatable as possible.

declanmullen
July 31st, 2011, 12:28 PM
If you are starting with a Kubuntu install, just install mythbuntu-control-centre then configure from there. It will install what it needs.

I encountered issues with running the control center from within the KDE desktop, see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11104329#post11104329