PDA

View Full Version : Multitouch table.

sandyd
December 16th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Ive seen some tutorials on how to build a multitouch table, in fact, im currently staring at this one -> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/multi-touch-surface-PC-DIY,7484.html

I wonder how hard it would be to build one of these and get it to work with linux :p
And really, im serious.
I want to build one.

EDIT: wait. theirs hope. they used touchlib to transform the detected infrared signals to touch movements. <- BAM. windows only (visual studio)

handy
December 16th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I can imagine people sitting around the breakfast table moving their plates around as dad reads the morning paper, mum is looking at what's on sale & the kids are on Facebook; before all head off to work, school, tennis or whatever.

Maybe it could generate some enhanced genuine human conversation/interaction at the breakfast table, beyond the "could you please move your plate 6" closer to you?" & the other far noisier territorial disputes that the kids would be incessantly involved in. lol

"Mum, Peter just through porridge all over the page I was reading again!"

Evil-Ernie
December 16th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Something like an open source version of this: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/Pages/Product/WhatIs.aspx

Let me know how you get on. One of the projects I've had in the back of my mind for a while is a glass coffee table PC with a touch screen, a bit like those retro arcade game tables you used to have in pubs ;)

handy
December 16th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Something like an open source version of this: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/Pages/Product/WhatIs.aspx

Let me know how you get on. One of the projects I've had in the back of my mind for a while is a glass coffee table PC with a touch screen, a bit like those retro arcade game tables you used to have in pubs ;)

It would be great you could have a selection of games; space invaders, pacman, xenophobe...

Evil-Ernie
December 16th, 2010, 11:48 AM
It would be great you could have a selection of games; space invaders, pacman, xenophobe...

One early memory of mine is from a family holiday in the early 80's, I think we was passing through Weston-Super-Mare on the way down the South coast. We stopped in a pub and I was plonked on a Galaxian 'cocktail' arcade table by my dad and I remember him playing it and showing me what to do so I kept quiet while he buggered off with his pint! LOL

If I did it I would have to try and build in some of the old school joysticks and buttons, now that would be cool!

handy
December 16th, 2010, 01:11 PM
One early memory of mine is from a family holiday in the early 80's, I think we was passing through Weston-Super-Mare on the way down the South coast. We stopped in a pub and I was plonked on a Galaxian 'cocktail' arcade table by my dad and I remember him playing it and showing me what to do so I kept quiet while he buggered off with his pint! LOL

If I did it I would have to try and build in some of the old school joysticks and buttons, now that would be cool!

I guess it is only a matter of time before there are a variety of instructions available as to how to build these things for yourself.

Just download the .pdf, obtain the required components & start at step 1. ...

Evil-Ernie
December 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Im sure there are some commerical companies building modern cocktail style cabinets for x86 based game systems, I saw one that was clearly Pentium based system with a selection of games based on the classics in a pub a couple of years back.

handy
December 16th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Im sure there are some commerical companies building modern cocktail style cabinets for x86 based game systems, I saw one that was clearly Pentium based system with a selection of games based on the classics in a pub a couple of years back.

I guess if you got serious about it, it wouldn't be too hard to use the circuitry from joysticks to get your buttons doing their thing.

You could use a PS3 as the heart of the thing if the games you want are available for that system.

Evil-Ernie
December 16th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Id think id rather have the flexibility of a x86 rather than a PS3, but I like your thinking!