PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 not installing, or taking forever to install

cHello2k7
December 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Hello, I'm attempting to install ubuntu 10.10 32bit version (or any respectable linux distro) on someones computer using a usb drive. I can boot into Ubuntu live, and start the install process, meeting all the requirements, however, thats as far as I'm getting. I let it sit for 3 hours and came back and it was still on that screen.

Same thing with the netbook version

Mint didn't even load

Ubuntu alternate(which i realize needs a cd); loads but wont install because the drive can't mount.

I don't have many options considering my computer is being a jerk(-_- i think my mother board is dying), I had to unplug my disc burner from the mother board because it wouldn't start up awhile back, on top of that my router decided to stop communicating with my modem...and my computer doesn't want to start up after I power cycle. So I kinda need this other computer to work, so I can use it while I figure out what to do with this computer.

q999
December 15th, 2010, 07:47 PM
It sounds as if your hard drive is not mounted///does it show up in your bios and if it does did you see it in the menu alomg with the usb stick?

cHello2k7
December 15th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure about the Bios, but it is mounted

cHello2k7
December 15th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Is it possible to install Ubuntu from a partition?
I can restore windows from a partition, so I'm wondering if I could use the live usb version of Ubuntu, to create a partition, then copy some files over to the HD...and pray that all goes well. Is that possible?