PDA

View Full Version : Use Android phones on private/home WiFi without SIM card

e24ohm
December 15th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Folks:
I want to get an unlocked Android phone; however, I only want to use the WiFi portion of the phone, so I will not be purchasing a SIM card. I want to use the phone for Google Talk and Google Voice on my home WiFi connection, so there is no need for a SIM card since I will not be using a data/voice plan from a provider.

Are Android phones able to work without a SIM card? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

AllRadioisDead
December 15th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Why don't you just get an ARCHOS android tablet (http://www.archos.com/)?

e24ohm
December 15th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Why don't you just get an ARCHOS android tablet (http://www.archos.com/)?

hey thanks for showing me this...i like this...and it is cheaper as well. What version of Android does it run?

e24ohm
December 15th, 2010, 09:52 PM
nevermind I found it runs on 2.2...got over excited.

AllRadioisDead
December 15th, 2010, 10:11 PM
nevermind I found it runs on 2.2...got over excited.
2.3 just came out, it's not available for any devices yet besides the Nexus S (Google's flagship phone for Gingerbread which starts retailing on Friday).

dstaudt
December 16th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I setup my old Android device (G1, no service plan) just as you describe in the OP with great success for my son to use inside the house (or wherever he can find wi-fi.) It is quite possible to replace voice and texting functionality with free apps - hardly miss the service and definitely don't miss the monthly bill.

e24ohm
December 16th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I setup my old Android device (G1, no service plan) just as you describe in the OP with great success for my son to use inside the house (or wherever he can find wi-fi.) It is quite possible to replace voice and texting functionality with free apps - hardly miss the service and definitely don't miss the monthly bill.

The monthly bill is what I am trying to avoid. In addition, I want a device that I can start learning Java for Android. I know there is an emulator; however, I like playing with devices when learning.

e24ohm
December 16th, 2010, 02:53 AM
NOTE
I did some research, and I found that the device does not support the standard Google App store, but an app store sponsered by Archos.

AllRadioisDead
December 16th, 2010, 02:59 AM
NOTE
I did some research, and I found that the device does not support the standard Google App store, but an app store sponsered by Archos.
If you want to get an Android device, you'll want to root it. By doing that, you will be able to install the standard Android Market and have access to all the apps. Don't worry.

e24ohm
December 16th, 2010, 03:10 AM
If you want to get an Android device, you'll want to root it. By doing that, you will be able to install the standard Android Market and have access to all the apps. Don't worry.

Ok understand, and thanks. To be totally honest, I do not have an Android, nor do I have any experience with one. I have played around with WebOS but that is limited to playing around in the store, which looked promising; however, with only javascript support and C++, I would like to focus on Java development even if it is Google's version, since I have an interest in learning java.

AllRadioisDead
December 16th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Do not let the idea of 'rooting' your device scare you. It's generally really simple and it'll open up your device to a lot more. Android's awesome, and if you don't want to commit to a phone these tablets are a great option.

treesurf
December 16th, 2010, 05:04 AM
FWIW, I think most unlocked Android phones should work fine without a SIM card installed. I know my HTC Hero definitely does.

e24ohm
December 16th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Do not let the idea of 'rooting' your device scare you. It's generally really simple and it'll open up your device to a lot more. Android's awesome, and if you don't want to commit to a phone these tablets are a great option.

ok thanks..for the support. Needed it, since I do not know anyone with an Android.

in addition, Is the java used on the Andoird OS really that much different from stanard Java by Oracle?

e24ohm
December 16th, 2010, 05:56 AM
FWIW, I think most unlocked Android phones should work fine without a SIM card installed. I know my HTC Hero definitely does.

I was going to go the HTC route, since I love their devices, but at this point. I think i am going to go with the $99.00 USD device I have been told about.

Thanks for the info.