PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] grub rescue preventing USB boot

elektrykia
December 15th, 2010, 11:02 AM
So earlier today I was running out of space on my regular Windows 7 partition and I played around with extending it. I ended up somehow deleting grub and messing up my entire system. I've spent the last 2 hours looking for the answer to this and everyone has been saying to boot from a live disk and fix it that way.

Well, I've tried everything, the only way I can boot right now is via USB and it will NOT allow me to. I checked on other computers and even re-installed and formatted by external hard drive to try and get it to work and it refuses. I've changed my BIOS to boot from USB so I have no idea as to why this is happening.

Also, I've tried using the "ls" command to find my partition via "ls (hdX,Y)/" and all of them come up as unknown filesystems.

I have an exam in 6 hours and need to access my notes, so immediate feedback would be more than greatly appreciated.

elektrykia
December 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM
So earlier today I was running out of space on my regular Windows 7 partition and I played around with extending it. I ended up somehow deleting grub and messing up my entire system. I've spent the last 2 hours looking for the answer to this and everyone has been saying to boot from a live disk and fix it that way.

Well, I've tried everything, the only way I can boot right now is via USB and it will NOT allow me to. I checked on other computers and even re-installed and formatted by external hard drive to try and get it to work and it refuses. I've changed my BIOS to boot from USB so I have no idea as to why this is happening.

Also, I've tried using the "ls" command to find my partition via "ls (hdX,Y)/" and all of them come up as unknown filesystems.

I have an exam in 6 hours and need to access my notes, so immediate feedback would be more than greatly appreciated.

wilee-nilee
December 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM
There is a per-session boot menu key-prompt used like going to the bios at powering on. Mine is f12 yours could be the same or another key, it may say on the screen as it comes on what it is.

If you get booted into Ubuntu do this. So from a booted live Ubuntu cd or thumbdrive lets see the bootscript read out; in my signature just click on it and follow the instructions. Come back to the thread and click on the # in the reply panel this makes code tags paste all the text in between.

elektrykia
December 15th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Magically, it made it to a boot menu for Ubuntu, however i get a whole bunch of different code which ends off with this...

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

And sorry wilee-nilee, what you said I couldn't quite understand, I haven't really had much time to sleep in the last few days so you might have to dumb it down for me.

wilee-nilee
December 15th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Magically, it made it to a boot menu for Ubuntu, however i get a whole bunch of different code which ends off with this...

And sorry wilee-nilee, what you said I couldn't quite understand, I haven't really had much time to sleep in the last few days so you might have to dumb it down for me.

Since you have made so many attempts the bootscript will get to the point. Your computer will boot from a thumb if loaded correctly but you will have to use a key prompt it seems, at power on. Google per-session boot with your computer model and you will probably find it.

You can tell me the model and I will look.

elektrykia
December 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Yeah I did that and on the umpteenth time as of 5 minutes ago, it manages to make it to the Ubuntu boot menu, but does not give me the chance to pick an option so I'm assuming its just running off the USB anyways.

It doesn't run a normal version of Ubuntu however, it basically looks like a command prompt and allows for pretty much nothing.

s.fox
December 15th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Please do not create duplicate threads. Thank you.

Threads Merged.

wilee-nilee
December 15th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Yeah I did that and on the umpteenth time as of 5 minutes ago, it manages to make it to the Ubuntu boot menu, but does not give me the chance to pick an option so I'm assuming its just running off the USB anyways.

It doesn't run a normal version of Ubuntu however, it basically looks like a command prompt and allows for pretty much nothing.

If your seeing the grub menu your not booting the thumb.

elektrykia
December 15th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I'm no longer seeing a grub menu, I thought I made that clear by saying that Ubuntu loaded?

However, no matter which command I choose from that menu (Install to harddrive, run from USB, etc.) I keep getting this message.

wilee-nilee
December 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I'm no longer seeing a grub menu, I thought I made that clear by saying that Ubuntu loaded?

However, no matter which command I choose from that menu (Install to harddrive, run from USB, etc.) I keep getting this message.

Okay your stressed out and I have little patience in these sort of situations, I'm going to bed best of luck to you.